The African American Roundtable (AART) seeks to contract a Lead Canvasser (LC) to join our team. The LC should be highly motivated, enthusiastic, organized, and committed to social justice and community investment. The ideal person will work to support expanding AART’s base-building capacity in Milwaukee’s Aldermanic Districts 5 & 9 through fieldwork, including neighborhood and street canvassing and phone banking. The LC will focus on opportunities to engage community members in year-round civic engagement opportunities, including Milwaukee’s city budget process, community-sponsored projects, and campaigns. This person will report to AART’s Executive Director. Candidates should have a proven history of community engagement and building relationships.
This position is temporary through June 2024 with a possibility to expand to full-time employment in 2024.
START DATE FOR THE POSITION DEPENDS ON WHEN THE POSITION IS FILLED.
Canvassing & Base Building Support:
- Lead recruitment efforts to build a team of volunteers and canvassers by conducting outreach
- Maintain a regular schedule of 1-1 relational meetings with contacts, volunteers, and members
- Work with AART staff to implement scheduling to ensure canvassers are following through on assignments
- Help to identify potential resident leaders who are interested in organizing as volunteers to improve the quality of life for residents through AART-specific community programs and projects
- Work with AART staff to experiment with engagement strategies to reach potential and current supporters, move them up our ladder of engagement and deepen their leadership
- Coordinate with the AART staff to ensure our organizing supports our base building goals, advocacy, and campaign objectives
- Connect volunteers with AART staff for future engagement
Data Quality & Control:
- Work with the AART staff, data support, and vendors to track and organize our contacts into our ladder of engagement and data platforms, i.e., EveryAction and Voter Activation Network (VAN)
- Ensure timely and accurate data entry and reporting
Training and Leadership Development:
- Coordinate, onboard, and train residents to participate in outreach efforts, including neighborhood and street canvassing, phone banking, texting, and email alerts; and implement action strategies alongside AART staff
- Provide feedback and support to improve the canvass team’s performance
- Support AART’s overall vision and mission
- Attend meetings as needed to discuss ongoing work, debrief and evaluate canvasses
- Commitment and passion for AART’s mission of social, racial, and economic justice
- At least 2-4 years experience in fieldwork, including grassroots community and/or issue-based electoral organizing
- Experience activating and engaging everyday people to take action
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with an ability to communicate with a range of people with sensitivity and empathy
- Must be available to work 25-30 hours per week during weekdays/weekends and be available to work evenings hours
- Demonstrated passion for progressive politics and social justice
- Deep understanding of oppressed and marginalized communities and demonstrated work in Black communities
- Physical requirements include being able to walk long distances (when safely working in the community)
- Reliable transportation with general liability insurance or access to transportation
- Experience in peer-to-peer texting and/or other relevant technical experience including uploading lists and managing databases
- EveryAction and VAN experience is desirable, but not required
- Belief in leadership development and that growth relies on an individual’s ability to own important projects and achieve success for themselves
- Belief that organizing is about building connections and relationships and that distributing knowledge and power is key
- Proficient in Zoom, Google Suites and general data entry skills
Pay and benefits
The African American Roundtable is a project of the Hmong American Women’s Association (HAWA). This position would pay between $22.00 and $25.00 per hour through June 2024; experience and aptitude will be taken into consideration for negotiating pay. Additional incentives for hire include a monthly stipend to support covering costs related to health and wellness. In addition, AART provides a partial cell phone and mileage reimbursement.
Please email your resume & cover letters to Markasa@AfricanAmericanRoundtable.org by no later than June 16, 2023.