Exempt Job Description
Position Title: Director of Marketing and Communications
Date: May 2022
Department: Marketing and Communications
Reports To: Vice President for Enrollment
Founded in 1887, Alverno College is a four-year, Catholic liberal arts college for undergraduate women sponsored by the School Sisters of St. Francis. The college offers a robust array of graduate and degree completion programs for women and men. Student learning and personal and professional development are the central focus of everyone in the Alverno College community. As Wisconsin’s first designated Hispanic-Serving Institution, Alverno enrolls a highly diverse student body of virtually every demographic and experience. It is an institution that has revered tradition and encouraged innovation for more than 130 years.
The College is seeking applicants for a Director of Marketing and Communications located in Milwaukee, WI. Alverno College health, dental, vision, disability, and retirement plan enrollment are available to full-time employees and eligible dependents. Tuition benefits are available for employees and qualified dependents.
Alverno College seeks an experienced, creative, and energetic Director of Marketing and Communications to serve in a highly visible leadership role, one central to the achievement of the College’s overall growth strategy. The Director will plan and shape a comprehensive, integrated program that includes brand strategy, marketing, and communications for one of the region’s and country’s most distinctive and diverse colleges.
Innately enthusiastic, optimistic and a strategist of the rapidly changing digital landscape, the Director will serve as Alverno’s “storyteller in chief,” reaching target audiences with stories that matter about Alverno’s people and programs, and accelerating the College’s position as an innovative leader in higher education.
The Director will demonstrate an understanding of Alverno’s unique mission and culture (and/or the willingness to grow in that understanding), and for promoting the College’s programs, people, values, and purpose. Through creativity, strategic design, and data-driven decisions that align with the College’s strategic plan, the Director will lead the re-imagination of Alverno’s brand; help to drive enrollment growth; and orchestrate targeted messaging across media in ways that resonate with the young adult population—consistent with Alverno’s primary commitment to innovation and a primary, though not exclusive, focus on the education of women. The Director will be a bold, visionary, innovative, and dynamic leader with the ability to animate, inspire and guide a strong team.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Working under the supervision of and in close collaboration with the Vice President for Enrollment and the Vice President and Chief of Staff, the Director of Marketing and Communications identifies, creates, implements and evaluates external and internal marketing and communications strategies for the College, accomplishing this work through oversight of the Marketing team and in close collaboration with numerous college constituencies.
Aligning with Alverno’s strategic plan, the Director will:
- Develop, share, and execute a comprehensive marketing plan.
- Develop and oversee a marketing and communications budget aligned with the plan.
- Design and implement marketing campaigns in concert with enrollment and college goals.
- Strengthen Alverno’s brand identity and awareness among external and internal audiences.
- Oversee the design, content, maintenance, and updating of Alverno’s website.
- Provide strategic direction and oversight of Alverno’s social media presence.
- Serve as institutional leader of all marketing and communication-related activities, events, publications, and programs.
- Serve as the primary college marketing liaison to deans and faculty program leaders.
- Oversee development of print, web, and digital promotion and recruiting material for college programs.
- Develop and maintain relationships with appropriate media organizations and respond to media requests.
- Serve as the primary agency liaison and oversee all work to ensure timely, successful, and appropriate design and placements.
- Produce and disseminate external and internal communications highlighting Alverno’s success stories.
- Advise, coordinate and lead in the creation and distribution of regular, special, and emergency internal communication notifications.
- Advise college leadership concerning media requests and events.
- Serve as the primary spokesperson for Alverno, when requested or in the President’s absence.
- Hire, develop and oversee Alverno’s Marketing and Communications staff, as well as student interns.
- Promote diversity, inclusion, and multicultural competence within a professional environment and contribute to the College’s strategic plan of inclusion.
- Serve and advise on the Administrative Council and College Council and other committees as requested.
- Complete special projects and tasks, as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in communications, journalism, marketing, public relations, or a related field.
- Minimum six years of experience with brand enhancement, program marketing, and communications.
- Leadership experience.
- Knowledge of principles of management including strategic planning, resource management, leadership, communication methods, staff supervision, and performance management.
- Exceptional communication, analytical, and judgment skills.
- Enrollment experience in linking marketing to specific academic programs to drive enrollment is strongly preferred.
- Excellent storyteller with an eye for innovation.
- Master’s degree.
- Higher education experience in a private institution.
- Experience with digital marketing tools and social media marketing is strongly preferred.
General office environment.
How to Apply
- Apply online at www.alverno.edu/jobs/apply/login.php
- Please attach your cover letter, resume, and list of references to the online application
Alverno College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to workplace diversity