Midwest Bikeshare, Inc. doing business as Bublr Bikes
Job Title: Executive Director
Reports To: Board of Director
FLSA Status: Exempt
Prepared Date: 10/24/2023
Bublr Bikes (Bublr) is the Milwaukee area’s non-profit bikeshare operator committed to delivering a sustainable, excellent bikeshare system for all. Core to Bublr’s mission is a focus on access and equity with unique features such as availability of adaptive bikes, a youth job training program, and numerous community outreach efforts.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will provide leadership in fundraising, donor engagement, community involvement, strategy development, and public private partnerships. Bublr has experienced tremendous growth, and is poised to partner and grow throughout our region. The Executive Director will be innovative and imaginative, balance tangible results, deliver operational excellence, and serve as a
leader in our community as we articulate and implement our compelling vision and mission. Bublr is a strong partner with and operates the bikeshare equipment located in the Cities of Milwaukee, Wauwatosa, and West Allis, and Milwaukee County. Bublr’s commitment to building out an equitable bikeshare system will help achieve health,
environmental, and economic development goals throughout the Milwaukee area. Bublr plays a critical role in advancing Mayor Cavalier Johnson’s vision of making Milwaukee the best city for bicycling in the US.
The Executive Director (ED) leads the organization by promoting its mission and vision. Specifically, the ED is responsible for: 1.) developing the board of directors; 2.) fund development (grants, donations, contributed revenues, public funding, user fees, advertising, and sponsorship); 3.) overseeing operations of a bikeshare company including budgeting, administrative tasks, and staff management; 4.) leading public relations; 5.) promoting organizational growth in alignment with the mission.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Board Development
- Develop and maintain the board of directors.
- Actively work with the board and committees to ensure progress between board meetings (financials, fund development, events, and operations).
- Develop board agendas with the Board President.
- Work with the board to develop and implement a strategic plan.
- Work with the board to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward major donors, and prospects.
- Advise Board of Directors on the organization’s financial health.
2. Fund Development
- Develop targeted sponsorship proposals to send to appropriate organizations.
- Research potential corporate partnerships and projects.
- Implement sponsorship strategies to achieve revenue goals.
- Seek new sponsorship by taking referrals and searching for different avenues.
- Ensure delivery of sponsorship programs at every level of each project.
- Seek out and apply for grants.
- Develop and maintain relationships with local, state, and federal entities to include Bublr funding in budgets, grants, and other opportunities.
- Leverage existing assets through bikes, website and station advertising, station sponsorship, event sponsorships, general sponsorships, promotions, and other opportunities.
- Assist in the planning and execution of sponsorship events.
- Seek in-kind support from corporations and foundations.
- Develop and use organizational tools for tracking opportunities.
- Develop and refine appropriate correspondence such as proposals, thank you letters, and program outcome information.
- Oversee operations of the bikeshare system.
- Work with city staff and other partners to expand the system through grants.
- Set major operational goals and deadlines.
- Report on major operational key performance measures to the board as well as municipal partners.
- Perform month close operations for both financials and customer relationship management software.
- Develop annual budget with board and staff.
- Set standards for operational performance.
- Act as staff lead on annual audit.
- Ensure the organization maintains adequate insurance.
- Ensure compliance with all partner contracts and agreements.
4. Public Relations
- Be able to communicate Bublr’s goals, outcomes, practices, and strategic plan to appropriate audiences.
- Support Bublr’s educational and promotional events.
- Work with the Community Engagement Manager to evolve community outreach initiatives and programming.
- Build and strengthen community relationships to increase Access Pass use.
- Assist with customer service tasks, namely by setting the standard for customer service interactions.
- Represent Bublr at various local, regional, and national conferences and events.
5. Promote Organizational Growth
- Champion Bublr’s mission and vision.
- Develop and maintain relationships and networks with elected officials, civic leaders, media leaders, and regional thought leaders.
- Develop and administer employee evaluations.
- Work with partners, municipalities, and other aligned organizations to promote a county where bikeshare can be successful. Examples include MCTS, Milwaukee County Parks, Milwaukee’s Vision Zero Policy Director, Wisconsin Bike Federation, and other mobility operators.
Other Duties: Please note that this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong project management skills.
- Strong leadership and team building skills.
- Ability to work without direct supervision.
- Enthusiasm for and commitment to Bublr’s mission.
- Understanding of the value and benefits that bicycling and a strong multimodal transportation system brings to Milwaukee
- Ability to effectively communicate with diverse internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to learn quickly.
- Google Suite, Microsoft Office, and social media proficiency.
- Ability to work irregular hours, including evenings and weekends as required.
- High level of integrity, diplomacy, and initiative.
- Ability to flawlessly communicate through excellent oral and written communication skills. This includes strong proofreading and editing skills.
- Excellent time management capabilities and the ability to simultaneously execute multiple projects and events.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee may be required to repeatedly lift a Bublr Bike. The employee is frequently required to sit and/or stand for long periods of time.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The work environment characteristics include working in a normal office environment and outdoors. Local, statewide, and national travel may be required. High level of public contact is anticipated. Work may include high volume or tight deadlines.
Compensation: $70,000 – 90,000 depending on experience
Application Due Date: December 8th, 2023
Midwest Bikeshare, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a drug-free workplace.
To apply for this position, please send your resume and cover letter to