Carmen Schools of Science & Technology (Carmen) is an innovative charter school network with a mission to graduate all students as critical thinkers and self-directed learners prepared for success in college, meaningful careers, community involvement, and family life. Carmen Schools currently operates five campuses, each one is as an independent charter school authorized by Milwaukee Public Schools or UW-Milwaukee.
Reporting to the Chief Finance & Operations Officer, the Accounting Manager is responsible for the oversight of all external accounting and reporting activities and will ensure financial information is managed and disseminated accurately and in compliance with accounting principles and organizational standards. The Controller will have functional responsibility over all accounting operations, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, and grants fiscal compliance.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related field (CPA or MBA preferred)
- Minimum of 7 years experience in accounting with at least 3 years in a management role
- Non-profit sector experience preferred
- K-12 education experience preferred
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build and cultivate relationships with the Carmen Leadership Team, principals, and school-based operational staff
- Proven track record of success managing and coaching adults
- Belief in and alignment with the mission and vision of Carmen Schools of Science & Technology
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop, analyze, and make recommendations related to the improvement of accounting and financial systems to ensure effective and efficient financial operations
- Work collaboratively with principals and budget owners to ensure they receive timely, accurate and actionable financial information
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements
- Oversee monthly and quarterly closings and preparation of supporting schedules; maintain schedule of fixed assets and prepare depreciation entries; maintain chart of accounts
- Ensure proper maintenance of all accounting systems and functions to ensure fidelity of data and timely monthly and year-end reporting
- Analyze financial data and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner, clearly communicate monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements; monitor progress and changes and keep the CEO and CFO abreast of the organization’s financial status
- Manage all program and grants accounting; ensure that expenditures are consistently aligned with grant and program budgets throughout the grant/fund period
- Direct all aspects of the payroll process and systems
- Work closely with the CFO in the preparation of forecasts and long-term financial models
- Oversee and coordinate activities with external auditors; manage the assembling of schedules and documents for annual audit, 990 and tax returns; prepare draft of annual financial statements
- Oversee reporting to authorizer, state and federal agencies, as well as lenders and bond holders
- Work closely with the CFO to manage a high-performing accounting team that provides excellent customer service to Carmen staff
- Inspire, mentor, develop and lead the accounting and payroll team
- Clarify roles and responsibilities, establish and monitor performance goals and implement professional development to set employees up for success and professional growth
- Together with finance & accounting team, obtain clean audits each fiscal year
- Cultivate strong relationships across a wide variety of stakeholders including but not limited to Carmen’s network leadership, school leadership, and board of directors
- Act as an advisor and resource for schools when questions arise regarding budgets, financial reports, accounts payable invoices, and other accounting/finance related matters.
- Serve as primary liaison for requests from bankers, lenders, attorneys, and others with questions regarding maintenance of Carmen’s financial records and accounts.
- Provide training to all levels of staff on an as-needed basis.
The position will work predominantly Monday – Friday at the Carmen network office; however, this position will require work on evenings and weekends as necessary.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Carmen Schools of Science and Technology provides salaries commensurate with qualifications and experience, plus excellent health and worksite benefits, free life insurance, free employee assistance program (EAP), free short-term disability insurance, 403b retirement plan, flexible spending accounts, and generous paid time off.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Carmen complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination. We are committed to equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, gender, disability, genetic information, marital status, age, religion, sexual orientation, or national or ethnic origin. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, lay-off, recall, transfer, leave of absence, compensation, and training.
Carmen expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Any actions or behaviors that create an uncomfortable work environment and prohibit an employee to perform their expected duties will not be tolerated.
Click on the following link to apply: Accounting Manager - Application