The Child & Youth Specialist is responsible for coordination of on-site services and resources for children and youth who are temporarily residing in our emergency shelter and emergency housing programs. The specialist will provide and oversee direct care of children and youth for short periods on-site, while parents participate in brief meetings or activities, and facilitate age-appropriate activities/groups for children. This position will also coordinate community resources for parents and children who participate in Cathedral Center’s programs: emergency shelter, Flexible Housing, workforce services and community services.
Program goals are focused on reducing the impact of trauma experienced by children and youth due to homelessness and housing crises through provision of on-site child & youth focused services, while parents participate in workshops, case management meetings, and positive parenting classes. Activities directed to children will offer educational support, promote positive play and healthy social and emotional interactions. The Child & Youth Specialist will work cooperatively with team members to ensure the effective and compassionate provision of services to women and families experiencing homelessness and housing crises – through coordination of internal and external services, direct service provision and staff support. The Cathedral Center uses a client centered, strength based and trauma informed approach, establishes clear and realistic plans for ending homelessness, and supports women and families via problem solving and use of internal and external referrals to ensure successful outcomes. This is a new position that will be a key part of our full case management team.
Specific Job Duties:
- Work in partnership with the case management team in ensuring family needs are met, as well as support for program needs. This will include providing short term case management to 2-3 shelter families, as appropriate if needed.
- Facilitate program components including on-site drop-in services, after school program, connections to summer activities for children and youth and ensure connection to community resources.
- Facilitate individual, family and group short term supportive sessions to assist clients in achievement of goals for independence and utilizing community resources effectively.
- Provide selection, training and support/supervision of interns and other volunteers who will aid in service provision.
- Ensure effective and accurate collection of data and outcomes, using an internet based data collection platform, facilitating timely and effective reporting to the program team and fund sources.
- Maintain accurate, confidential, professional and up to date documentation of all supervisory and client services.
- Actively participate in community meetings and consortiums relative to the homeless provider and youth development network, collaborating effectively to coordinate service delivery.
- Cooperatively develop program components including on-site drop is services, after school program, and connections to summer activities, as well as referral to community resources.
- Maintain up to date knowledge of community resources, ensuring effective and appropriate linkages.
- Actively collaborate with CCI team, participating in staff meetings, trainings, family/child reviews and case consultations.
- Other duties as may be assigned by the Case Management Supervisor or leadership team members.
Skills and Qualifications:
Associate degree plus at least 2 years of direct service experience is required. Bachelor degree in a social services, recreational programming, youth development or related area is preferred. Valid Wisconsin driver’s license and access to reliable transportation are required, as well as experience serving vulnerable children and families. Effective skill in use of EXCEL, Word and other Microsoft applications. Comfort in learning an internet-based software, Clarity, for client data entry. Primarily first shift, with some evening and weekend programming required.
Cathedral Center is a mission focused agency, seeking individuals who are excited to grow with us. We offer competitive pay, 90% employer paid health and dental insurance, paid long term disability and life insurance, as well as paid vacation, holiday, sick and personal time.
Send resume, cover letter and a list of 3 professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone inquiries, please.