The Guest Services Specialist is responsible for day to day service flow for women and families temporarily residing in Cathedral Center’s emergency shelter or our emergency housing program. The Guest Services Specialist serves as shelter staff, while also supporting the program director in ensuring services are planned and facilitated effectively, with consistency and compassion. These services include new client admissions, scheduling program activities, group coordination and planning, support for accurate data in our state wide data system, and assisting with projects. This position will ensure program procedures are carried out with respect to client needs and program capacities, adhering to the agency’s ethical principles and core values. This job is fast-paced, and no two days are alike.
All staff and volunteers at Cathedral Center are expected to communicate professionally and respectfully with vendors, guests, partners, donors, and co-workers. This position primarily overlaps first and second shifts, with flexibility for staff meetings, trainings, and participation in filling shifts during unexpected vacancies. Specific schedules (such as on-call calendars) are determined by the program directors.
- Ensure smooth daily service flow, taking initiative to fill gaps when needed.
- Crisis intervention with women and families experiencing homelessness or housing crisis.
- Manage and communicate activity calendar, collaborating with team to organize/arrange for guest speakers and/or weekly activities for guests.
- Complete accurate, timely documentation of guest interactions or observations, including incident reports, data entry and client files.
- Assist program director with securing and distributing supplies and meals.
- Effectively and compassionately enforce rules and expectations, managing procedures such as check in/out and daily client mail and belongings.
- Attend weekly case review, monthly team meetings, and other staff meetings as necessary.
- Serve as essential shelter support staff, triaging basic and immediate needs of guests, including supporting new guests as they adjust to their surroundings.
- Maintain a clean, uncluttered, safe physical environment for guests, volunteers and staff.
- Collaborate with Cathedral Center’s internal programs, as well as partner agencies.
- Supervise and support shelter volunteers as appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned by the Program Directors and/or Executive Director.
Preferred Skills and Qualifications:
The ideal candidate for the Guest Services Coordinator position will have at least 2 years of post-secondary education in a social service field; bachelor’s degree in social work or related field preferred. This candidate must be able to sit, stand and use stairs regularly, lift up to 25 pounds, communicate effectively and professionally via written word, phone, and in person, as well as utilize Microsoft office software (Excel, Word, Outlook, etc.).
This position requires an ability to be flexible, remain level headed while responding to client needs, take initiative and be comfortable in communicating areas of needed support or service. Ability to work effectively with the public and vulnerable populations in a respectful and dignified manner are critical qualities. Someone who remains confident and level-headed in times of crisis and is an effective, unsupervised multi-tasker is ideal for this position. Bilingual skills (English/Spanish) and experience with Wisconsin Service Point a plus.
Full time employees are eligible for paid sick, vacation and personal time, as well as 8 paid holidays. We offer employer sponsored LTD/Life, health and dental insurance, retirement program and supported training.
Interested applicants should send cover letter, resume, and 3 professional references to HR@cathedral-center.org
Cathedral Center is a mission focused organization. As such, this position will remain open until filled with the candidate who's compassion matches our agency mission and goals.