The Intake Specialist position is a new position to The Cathedral Center’s Emergency Shelter, with potential for growth. The Intake Specialist will manage referrals and conduct initial intake assessments with unaccompanied women and families with children upon entry to shelter. This position will be primarily responsible for working closely with Coordinated Entry and other Milwaukee agencies to manage daily intakes. Intakes will include collecting demographic information, making basic referrals, orienting clients to the shelter, and providing crisis intervention as needed. Required documentation includes entering all initial information into the internet-based Homeless Management Information System. The Cathedral Center utilizes a strength based and housing first approach to service delivery.
Specific Job Duties:
Direct client services:
- Receive new referrals, complete intakes/interviews, and facilitate orientation for all new guests.
- Greets new guests for intake. Assists with sorting of belongings, heat treatment, and client orientation.
- Assess and provide for basic needs at intake (i.e. snack, clothing, hygiene supplies.)
- Support Case Management team during staff transitions or absences.
Data and Documentation:
- Complete accurate, timely documentation of guest interactions and observations.
- Support accurate, timely and complete Wisconsin’s HMIS data entry system.
- Audit client files
- Assist with supervision of Shelter Aides/volunteers.
- Effectively and compassionately support expectations of the program.
- Actively participate in weekly and monthly meetings as necessary.
- Assist with program evaluation and planning.
- Understands community resources, ensuring appropriate linkages when necessary.
- Maintain a clean, uncluttered, safe physical environment for guests, volunteers and staff.
- Serve as essential staff – staffing program activities during meetings or other immediate needs as appropriate.
- Collaborate with Cathedral Center’s internal programs as well as partner agencies.
- Other duties as may be assigned by the Case Management Supervisor or Director of Programs & Services.
Skills and Qualifications:
The ideal candidate for the Intake Specialist position must be able to prioritize while remaining true to Cathedral Center’s mission to provide a safe environment for women and families, while working to end homelessness one life at a time. Candidates will have earned an Associate Degree in Human Services, Bachelor degree preferred. Bilingual candidates with fluency in English and Spanish are strongly encouraged to apply. Effective skill in use of EXCEL, Word and other Microsoft applications, as well as comfort in learning an internet-based case management program needed. Some evening hours will be required.
This position is open to all qualified internal and external candidates. Internal candidates must have reached six months of continuous employment at the time of application. Bilingual skills (English/Spanish) a plus. Candidates must be able to sit, stand, stoop and walk for extended periods of time, and be able to lift 15 pounds. All staff at The Cathedral Center are expected to work effectively both independently and in a team environment, and to become familiar with and utilize a trauma-informed approach.
Candidates for all paid and volunteer positions at The Cathedral Center must have been separated from services here for at least one year. All candidates for paid and volunteer positions at The Cathedral Center must be willing to have a background check conducted.
Send cover letter, resume, and the names of 3 professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone inquiries, please.