The Cathedral Center is a committed social service agency, supporting women and families with children who are homeless or experiencing a housing crisis. Services are offered at two locations (4 blocks apart) in downtown Milwaukee: the emergency shelter at the Cathedral Center and the Friendship House, which is a program of Cathedral Center. Guest Support Staff typically work in one primary location (Friendship House or Cathedral Center), while being flexible enough to provide support in the secondary location as needed.
This Guest Support Staff is responsible for working a combination of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd shifts throughout the week to provide day to day services for women and families temporarily residing in Cathedral Center’s emergency shelter or Friendship House flexible housing program. This position is responsible for the admission process, new guest orientations, ensuring a clean and healthy environment, positive volunteer relations and ensuring that all guests are treated with compassion and respect. All staff and volunteers at The Cathedral Center will communicate professionally and respectfully with vendors, guests, partners and co-workers. Additional hours will be available for staff meetings, trainings and help to fill shifts during unexpected vacancies. Specific schedules determined by the program directors.
Key responsibilities for this position include the following with additional responsibilities as needed and as assigned by the Program Directors:
- Crisis intervention with women and families experiencing homelessness or housing crises.
- Facilitate check-in/out for all existing and new guests.
- Maintain accurate, timely and complete documentation of all shift activities, including specific guest participation.
- Assist with completion of intakes and welcome orientation for new guests.
- Triage shelter-related basic needs of guests.
- Maintain a clean, uncluttered, safe physical environment for clients, volunteers and staff.
- Assist with snack and meal preparations; serve the meal as needed, when volunteers are not available.
- Effectively and compassionately mediate all conflicts that arise. Problem solve to avoid further crises.
- Provide active, effective and professional collaborative work with Cathedral Center’s internal programs, as well as partner agencies, ensuring professional and dignified representation of Cathedral Center’s mission.
- Supervise volunteers as appropriate, maintaining effective, positive working relationship with volunteers/groups at all times.
- Oversee and assist with completion of daily chores.
- Ensure adherence to agency and partner ethics, client confidentiality, and professional boundaries.
- Other duties as may be assigned by the Program Director and/or Executive Director.
Skills and Qualifications:
Candidates for the Guest Support Staff position must be able to prioritize while remaining true to Cathedral Center’s mission to provide a safe environment for women and families, while working to end homelessness one life at a time. Candidates must have a High School diploma or equivalency, 2 years of post-secondary education and/or experience in a social service field and be able to communicate professionally and pleasantly via written word, phone and in person. The ideal candidate will have earned an Associate degree in human services or related field and have basic skills in EXCEL, Word and other Microsoft office software. Attention to detail and ability to work effectively with the public and diverse, vulnerable populations in a respectful and dignified manner are critical qualities. Bilingual skills (English/Spanish) a plus. Candidates must be able to use stairs, sit, stand, stoop and walk for extended periods of time unaided, and be able to lift 15 pounds. All staff at The Cathedral Center are expected to work effectively both independently and in a team environment, and to become familiar with and utilize a trauma-informed approach. Priority will be given to qualified candidates who have 3rd shift availability. Hourly staff receive an additional $1 per hour during the 3rd shift hours of midnight to 8 a.m. each day.
Candidates for all paid and volunteer positions at The Cathedral Center must have been separated from Cathedral Center services for at least one year. All candidates for paid and volunteer positions at The Cathedral Center must be willing to have a background check conducted.
This position is open to all qualified internal and external candidates. Internal candidates will have ideally reached six months of continuous employment at the time of application and their application will be prioritized accordingly.
Cathedral Center is a mission focused organization, seeking individuals who are excited to grow with us. We offer competitive pay with starting wages at $15-$16 per hour, as well as overtime and holiday pay for hourly staff. Cathedral Center offers a supportive working environment and training opportunities.
Please submit a professional cover letter, resume, and 3 references via email to Lori Runge, Director of Programs & Services, at email@example.com or visit our website: www.cathedral-center.org.