Volunteer & Community Coordinator
Friedens Food Pantries is a network of food centers building community through nourishment. We envision a more equitable world where people have enough resources to thrive.
As the largest food center network in Milwaukee, Friedens is a stabilizing force in our neighborhoods. Through our programs we strive to leverage food to build relationships and address the holistic needs of community members. Friedens addresses the emergency food needs in Milwaukee neighborhoods with a high population of low-income households that commonly suffer from food insecurity.
For close to a decade, Friedens Food Pantries has hosted AmeriCorps members, providing valuable professional development and opportunities to serve. We pride ourselves on meeting members where they are at in life. This year we are bringing on a cohort of four Volunteer & Community Coordinators. These individuals will work closely together to build community through nourishment and will receive ongoing support from seasoned Friedens staff.
The ideal candidates are adept at building and maintaining trust-based relationships, engaging stakeholders and applying an equity lens towards transforming lives and communities. As such, we strongly encourage applications from candidates who foster and promote the values of diversity and inclusion.
Work Type: Full Time (100%)
Term: September 2023-August 2024
Volunteer & Community Coordinator, Friedens Food Pantries
The Volunteer & Community Coordinator position promotes the community food center model at Friedens That integrates food access, food education, food sustainability, and food advocacy in a vibrant, welcoming, trauma-informed community space. The position allows an individual the opportunity to grow in experience, knowledge, and job skills while supporting Friedens’ food and outreach programs, engaging directly with pantry shoppers, and coordinating volunteers. The Volunteer & Community Coordinator assists with the day-to-day operations of the food center, including, but not limited to data management, supervision of food center volunteers, restocking of food pantry items, serving our clients, and helping the pantry run smoothly.
- One-Year Paid Internship Program through AmeriCorps Wisconsin which reports to the Program Manager of Friedens Food Pantries
- Upon successful completion of service year, the individual is eligible for a $6,895 educational award that can be utilized pay off qualified student loans and/or several other specified uses
- Make a lasting positive impact by supporting community health work
- Receive ongoing professional leadership skills training during the term to build your resume
- Earn a bi-weekly living stipend of $825
- No-cost health, vision and dental insurance
- Low- to no-cost child care assistance (if needed)
- Ten paid holidays are observed for all staff: New Year’s Day, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, Memorial Day, Juneteenth, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year’s Eve
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Help realize our mission of building community through nourishment
- Assist Friedens staff with the clean, safe, and efficient day-to-day operations of the Community Food Centers including: receiving deliveries, stocking shelves, and serving community members (some Tuesday nights and Saturday mornings required in exchange for work-week flex time)
- Assist with internal data tracking and conducting client intake as needed
- Oversee volunteer shifts at pantry locations including volunteer orientation and assigning tasks
- Engage directly with food center guests to assist them in resource navigation, invite them to volunteer, and involve them in programs at the pantry sites
- Implement food pantry policies and procedures as directed, including safe handling and sorting of produce, dry good deliveries, and inventory tracking
- Assist Operations Manager as needed with the coordination of community food drives, food deliveries and pickups
- Assist Managers with other duties as requested
- Build community through food education by managing teams of volunteers to provide nutritious and culturally specific food sampling and community dinners to build food literacy.
- Work alongside teams of volunteers to grow avenues of on-site food production including hydroponic greenhouse towers and outdoor community gardens
- Collaborate with community partners to offer wrap-around resource support for our pantry visitors ● Engage directly with shoppers to assist with resource navigation, organizing block parties, and involving guests in programs at the pantry sites
- Provide homeless outreach with StreetLife teams on a weekly basis
- Assist with social media postings and communications-related projects
- Assist with volunteer management including recruitment, onboarding, and retention
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Affinity with the overall mission of Friedens Food Pantries
- Valid Wisconsin driver’s license and good driving record
- High School Diploma or GED
- Excellent communication skills- listening, speaking, and writing.
- Ability to relate comfortably with people who work at our food centers and use our services.
- Spanish language skills preferred
- Willingness to learn, adapt, grow, and work as a team. Collaborate toward organizational continuous improvement
- Work Location: onsite, open office workspace with active team atmosphere
- Physical Requirements: occasionally lifting 50 pounds or less, moving boxes or packages of food, loading/unloading a van, pushing a dolly, climbing stairs.
- Equipment Used: computer, printer/copier, tablets, pallet jack, transit van
To apply for this position, please send your resume or CV with a cover letter to: jobs@FriedensPantry.org 414-289-6030 | email@example.com | 1220 W Vliet St, Milwaukee, WI 53205