Position Overview: The Development Director will collaborate with the Executive Director to secure a diverse revenue stream for a growing nonprofit agency, Groundwork Milwaukee. This position will provide innovative and strategic leadership in the planning, implementation, and management of the organization’s annual fundraising plan and development strategies. A successful Development Director will have the skills, vision, and energy to garner support, create new opportunities to support the growth of Groundwork Milwaukee, and oversee an integrated strategic communications plan to support fundraising efforts.
Groundwork Milwaukee is a nonprofit organization and land trust whose mission is to bring about the sustained regeneration, improvement, and management of the physical environment by developing community-based partnerships that empower people, businesses, and organizations to promote environmental, economic, and social well-being.
- Working in partnership with the Executive Director, create an annual fundraising plan that includes target dollars by source, plans for donor cultivation, and plans for donor acknowledgement and recognition.
- Manage the annual fundraising plan, including oversight and writing of grant applications, reports, acknowledgments, and budgets for foundations, corporations, individuals, and government agencies.
- Create and manage an annual fundraising calendar to meet all deadlines.
- Conduct research on prospective corporate, foundation, and government donors.
- Cultivate corporate and foundation funders and evaluate prospects for appropriate ask amounts.
- Write, prepare, submit, and manage grant proposals to foundations, corporations, and government agencies.
- Partnering with the Executive Director and Deputy Director for Programs, ensure that grant funds match agency priorities and that each funded project or program is meeting the grantors’ expectations.
- Write, prepare, and submit grant reports in a timely manner.
- Working with the Executive Director, create a social media communications plan.
- Manage Groundwork Milwaukee’s social media content on Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn.
- With input and content from staff, assemble and distribute a monthly electronic newsletter to Groundwork Milwaukee supporters.
- Coordinate production of the Annual Report.
Successful candidates for this role will have several of the following experiences, qualifications, knowledge, and skills:
- Demonstrated experience in creating persuasive and high-quality written communication pieces such as news articles, essays, or grant applications.
- Comfort working in an evolving but fast paced and deadline-oriented environment.
- Commitment (through volunteer, work, or life experience) to social justice.
- Experience or interest in community development, green infrastructure, civic engagement, climate change activism, or environmental justice.
- Organizing and managing processes.
- A healthy sense of humor.
- Working collaboratively with a diverse team.
- Giving and taking feedback.
- Managing multiple projects.
- Navigating Google Suite or similar cloud based work tools to work with documents, emails, spreadsheets, and survey forms.
Additional Important Information:
Groundwork Milwaukee is a learning and leading organization focused on action. The organization’s mission is to improve the environmental, economic, and social well-being of folks throughout Milwaukee and is led by the people who make up our team. With this in mind Groundwork Milwaukee strives to create greater pay and compensation equity across the organization; and build hiring and cultural practices that result in the development staff that looks more like the community we serve alongside.
Work Location and Scheduled Work Days:
Groundwork Milwaukee’s office is located in Schlitz Park. The hours for this position are Monday through Friday for a total of 40 hours per week. Some weekend work may be required.
- Salary range $55-60,000 based on experience
- The position is eligible for 20 days of vacation, in addition to 11 paid holidays and 5 personal days
- The position is eligible for health , dental, and vision insurance benefits with 50% premium paid for by Groundwork Milwaukee
- Monthly technology stipend
Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter that expresses why they are interested in the position as well as a description of how they align with the "experiences, qualifications, knowledge, and skills" section of the position announcement. Application materials can be sent to Groundwork Milwaukee Executive Director, Young Kim at firstname.lastname@example.org
Groundwork Milwaukee provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status or civil union status, past or present military service, or any other protected classification. This policy applies to all employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, compensation, and training.
We encourage applications from community members who live in our primary service area which generally runs from:
The Milwaukee River to the East
I-94 Freeway to the South
City of Milwaukee Border to the West
Mill Road to the North