The Milwaukee Community Schools Partnership is currently looking for an individual to work in partnership with United Way, Milwaukee Public Schools, Milwaukee Teachers’ Education Association and Journey House as a Community School Coordinator! This position will be hired through a community-based organization and work to support the Community School model at H.W. Longfellow School (HS-8th Grade) through family & community engagement, developing communication systems, and recruiting & managing partnerships & resources around school goals.
Works as part of a “special project” that is fully funded through grants and contracts. The position contract is reviewed for renewal annually. Position will have multiple evening and weekend responsibilities, including a potential nontraditional schedule with hours as early as 7am or late as 7pm. Final schedule to be determined based on designated partner school needs.
KEY JOB FUNCTIONS
- Coordinate and manage community partnerships and resources in accordance with the Community School Action Plan including the facilitation of regular meetings and ongoing communication among partners and school staff to ensure effective integration.
- Participate in the development of the school’s asset map and priority assessment. Continuously engage community in ongoing assessment and activities as a successor to the initial community asset map and priority assessment process.
- Work closely with the Community School Leadership Team to create a Community School Action Plan that implements programs and services which are coordinated and well-aligned to articulated goals for the partner community school.
- Facilitate monthly Community School Leadership Team meetings (administration, school staff, parents, students, community residents, community partner organizations). Guide Community School Leadership Team to assure successful alignment and implementation of resources to the Community School Action Plan.
- Facilitate communication and relationship-building with community partners, key stakeholders, and volunteers including participation in community groups and/or committees as a representative of designated partner school.
- Participate in appropriate school and community meetings (i.e. Learning Team), community partner organization meetings, neighborhood association meetings and parent organization meetings to ensure strategic communication and alignment
- Serve as key contact person for school staff seeking support or enrichment for students and families.
- Develop and maintain daily calendar of programming during and beyond the school day for children, families, and the community including use of the building after school hours.
- Provide training and technical assistance activities to community partners, key stakeholders, school staff, and volunteers as needed.
- Participate in and support school staff and community partners in ongoing professional learning specific to Culturally Responsive and Restorative Practices
- Monitor and analyze outcomes related to school goals and benchmarks of community school determined in Community School Action Plan, such as: attendance, student discipline referrals, academic achievement, parental involvement, and program effectiveness. Prepare monthly reports to share with school and community partners.
- Support United Way, MPS, Journey House, and individual school grant-seeking and other fund development activities including; planning and development of application processes, grant-writing, and training and/or technical assistance in the outcome measurement reporting.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and SKILLS include the following. Other duties may be assigned in line with individual’s experiences and qualifications
- Ability to…
- work in a complex environment using technical and interpersonal skills;
- establish good working relationships with diverse groups including regulatory agencies, or members of the business community;
- effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors and respond to common inquiries or complaints as needed;
- Demonstrated excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience in working with computerized software, such as Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel or other similar programs and knowledge of computer-based outcome reporting systems.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Assist in daily site maintenance to assure a clean and well-organized environment in which to work, play, and learn.
- Ensure that accurate up-to-date program demographics, attendance, and program outcome, information is entered into the database.
- Ensure the safety of all participants by being present during activities. Have a presence during activities to help program movement, control issues such as wandering and conflicts, and maintain a positive flow for participants every day.
- Participate in SKY Breathing and Community Building mandated staff trainings and follow-ups.
- Work with Journey House Director of Community Partnerships on related Community School programming and special events.
- Perform other relevant tasks as assigned.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Bilingual applicants encouraged
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Familiarity with and credibility in Milwaukee neighborhoods (experience living, working or going to school with ties to the local community).
- Minimum high school diploma or GED; Bachelor’s degree in relevant field preferred.
- Minimum 3 years of relevant experience described in this section.
- Background working with youth, within public education or community-based work.
- Additionally, experience should reflect increasing leadership responsibilities involving project management, collaboration, supervision, and evaluation.
- Preferred experience with all or some: facilitation, data analysis, grant writing, and/or using outcomes in program development, operation or evaluation is highly desired.
- Excellent written, verbal, interpersonal and editing skills with exceptional attention to detail and accuracy are required.
- Must possess ability to work well independently and in a team including staff and volunteers. It is critical to understand community priorities and how to organize strategies to promote community impact.
- Must satisfactorily pass Milwaukee Public School and other required background and reference checks.
- A valid WI state driver’s license and access to an insured vehicle in good working condition is essential.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The work environment characteristics include working in office space, classrooms, gymnasiums, community agencies and outdoors.
Journey House Is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Drug Free Workplace
If you are qualified and interested in this position, please complete: