Transferable Skills: lesson planning, teaching/tutoring/training, data tracking, interpersonal communication, presentation delivery, project management, group/event organizing, customer service
Transferable Experience: classroom teacher, trainer, workshop facilitator, nonprofit/higher education administrator, college admissions/prep, social service worker, case manager
Literacy Services of Wisconsin (LSW) partners with motivated adults to provide access to quality education and skills training so they can improve their lives, enrich their families, and strengthen our community.
The part-time ELL Instructor (MPS) will be responsible for instructing and managing at least three (3) English language classes at multiple Milwaukee Public Schools sites in the Milwaukee area. Each class will occur twice a week and consist of at least 3 instructional hours per week. This position requires at least 2 evenings available and 2 mornings available and is contract-funded through September 2024 with the potential for extension. The ELL Instructor (MPS) works closely with the Lead ELL Instructor and the Manager of ELL Programs and reports directly to the Lead ELL Instructor.
- Provide varied, high-quality English language instruction for adult learners (parents and relatives of MPS students)
- Develop and tailor course materials in addition to LSW’s ELL curriculum as needed
- Learn and use the TABE CLAS-E national testing system to assist ELL Program Staff in administering pre-and post-tests in a class setting
- Monitor ongoing progress of learners, including materials used, and adjust materials and techniques to meet needs
- Maintain consistent and effective communication with the Lead ELL Instructor and the Manager of ELL Programs, as well as other stakeholders, as needed
- Manage maintenance, cleanliness and supplies of the classrooms
- Attend bi-monthly ELL Program Staff meetings, monthly all staff meetings, professional development opportunities, and LSW events
Knowledge and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Applied Linguistics, Education, or related field; Master’s preferred
- Background in ESL Education and/or TESOL is highly preferred
- Previous experience in adult education and/or community-based client services
- Previous experience with educational curricula and resources
- Computer proficiency (word processing, data collection, spreadsheets, etc.)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; strong customer service skills
- Ability to work as a member of the program team in a fast-paced environment
- Experience working with disadvantaged populations
- Commitment to the mission and students of LSW
- English/Spanish bilingual preferred
Compensation: This is a part-time position of 25 hours per week, Monday through Friday, including some evenings. Rate of pay is $20-$25/hour depending on the applicant’s experience.
A complete application includes 1) a letter of interest, 2) a resume, and 3) a list of three professional references. Applications should be sent via email to Nicole Ludmer and will be accepted until the position is filled. Contact Nicole at firstname.lastname@example.org.