Milwaukee Public Library AmeriCorps
MPL AmeriCorps members will help young people develop a love of reading, increases information literacy skills, and establishes relationships with youth that bridge the gap between in and out of school learning.
Members are leaders who will serve in all three unique spaces:
- School: facilitate information literacy classes for students at Milwaukee area schools
- MPL branch: lead after school homework help and run an activity with youth at a local library branch
- Summer: support summer reading and learning throughout the city at community organizations
Conditions of Employment
- Individuals who complete an application for general City employment on or after September 1, 2021 and are subsequently appointed to a position must provide proof of being vaccinated against COVID-19 (i.e., received both doses of the Moderna or Pfizer or one dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine) or have an approved religious or medical accommodation within ten business days of their employment start date.
- A car is required for this position
- This is an 11-month national service term (September 2023 – July 2024)
- Have a high school diploma before the start of the service year
- Be at least 18 years old at the start of the service year
- Be a citizen, national, or lawful permanent resident alien of the United States
- Pass a National Service Criminal History Check
- Valid driver’s license, use of an automobile, and current auto insurance
- Experience (or high interest) in education, working with youth, information literacy, and STEM programming
- Undergraduate degree
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other Characteristics
- Ability to relate well to and communicate well with people of various ages and from diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds
- Able to work accurately under pressure both independently and in a team-based environment
- Experience using Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Power Point and Publisher)
- Comfortable with data collection and ongoing tracking of information
- Uses successful organization and time management strategies
- Desire to be of service to others
Members will get a living stipend of $25,000 for the full-time service term, paid biweekly in equal installments.
In addition to receiving your AmeriCorps living stipend, members have access to many benefits including:
- Health insurance
- Mileage reimbursement
- Cell phone stipend
- Monthly housing stipend
- Education award of $6,895.00 upon successful completion of the program
- And more!
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Applicants should expect to hear about next steps within one week of submitting their application.
Visit www.mpl.org/americorps to apply and learn more.