The adaptive and creative individual filling this position will be a strong communicator who will work closely with the Executive Director to implement strategic marketing, public awareness, and advocacy initiatives on behalf of NAMI Racine County. NAMI Racine County envisions a compassionate community where all people affected by mental health conditions (including adults and teens, families and loved ones) live healthy, fulfilling lives. We welcome your application to join our growing team.
Scope and Function of Position
The Communications & Advocacy Manager will be instrumental in the organization and implementation of public awareness initiatives in collaboration with NAMI Racine County’s advocacy, education, and support programs, as well as individual, systemic, and legislative advocacy efforts.
- Create and maintain engagement with NAMI Racine County community, members, volunteers, participants, community organizations, corporate partners, legislators, and other supporters while embodying the mission of NAMI Racine County
- Update and distribute NAMI Racine County marketing materials as needed
- Manage a social media content calendar, make timely website updates (Squarespace), write blog posts and articles, cultivate a media contact list and share press releases, and other applicable communication requirements for maximum exposure of NAMI Racine County initiatives
- Provide supervision and evaluation to the Support & Resource Advocate
- Strategize, implement, and manage public awareness and advocacy goals
- Attend workshops, committees, meetings, and trainings to increase skills, knowledge, and network to reduce stigma and increase awareness of NAMI Racine County programs
- Provide support to other staff and organization events
- Administrative tasks and other duties related to the position including, but not limited to evaluations, data entry, reporting, strategic planning, etc.
If you meet most, but not all of these, please still apply and explain your plan for professional growth in your cover letter.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills – please provide writing sample by submitting a cover letter with resume
- Ability to connect with others and create trust
- Strong working knowledge of social media platforms, integrations, and connectivity
- Willingness to learn, receive and provide feedback, and utilize resources to improve skillset
- Demonstrated success in communications, marketing, public relations, or related field
- Passion for NAMI mission and/or lived experience as a person who has a mental health condition or a close loved one of someone with a mental health condition
- Committed to organizational and community DEI goals
- Ability to travel throughout the county or state as needed
- Supervisory and/or team leadership experience preferred
- Comfortable and skilled with public speaking
- Proven time management skills and dependability
- Intermediate to proficient knowledge of (or willingness and ability to learn) technology to support needs of organization including, but not limited to Microsoft Office, SquareSpace, MailChimp, Canva
- Teamwork focus to cover absences, support events, and pitch in where needed which may require occasional evening and/or weekends
- Support NAMI Racine County mission, vision, values, strategic direction, and administrative decisions
- Nonprofit experience as a volunteer or staff member
- Knowledge of local and state community resources
- College degree preferred; experience preferred
Benefits (subject to change)
- Flexible hours
- Fridays optional (with minimal exceptions)
- Indoor, office environment
- Private or semi-private office space; no cubicle
- Collaborative, inclusive team environment
- PTO with increases with tenure
- Mileage reimbursement plan
- 105B medical reimbursements upon meeting eligibility
- DEI focus: BIPOC, LGBTQ+ and disability friendly
Other Requirements Prior to Hire
- All staff members and volunteers are members of NAMI Racine County
- To protect our community, we require a national criminal background screening
- There is a 90-day probationary period which prevents PTO from being accrued/used
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Frequent need to stand, walk, and sit
- The employee will occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds
- The ability to stoop and bend and reach into file drawers is required
- Use of office equipment and materials including, but not limited to, a computer, calculator, copy machine, telephone, projector, TV/DVD player, postage meter.
NAMI Racine County makes all hiring and employment decisions without regard to race, creed, color, age, gender, gender identity, martial or parental status, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, or sexual identity. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Updated August 2022
To apply, please email cover letter and resume to Bridget Munson at email@example.com