The Benefits Specialist is responsible for the day-to-day operations of group benefit programs (group health, dental, vision, short-term and long-term disability, life insurance, flexible spending plan, retirement plans, etc.). The Benefits Specialist provides excellent customer service and designs quality benefits plans.
Ensures the accuracy of all benefits enrollments in the HRIS to provide vendors with accurate eligibility information.
- Maintain employee benefits filing systems and ensure benefits changes are entered appropriately in payroll system for payroll deduction.
- Performs quality checks of benefits-related data.
- Assists employees regarding benefits claim issues and plan changes.
- Distributes all benefits enrollment materials and determines eligibility.
- Enrolls employees with carriers and process life status changes.
- Responds to benefits inquiries from employees on plan provisions, benefits enrollments, status changes and other general inquiries.
- Assists with the open enrollment process.
- Provides necessary reports for allocation/billing charges
- Assists with new-hire orientations.
- Conduct benefits orientations and explain benefits self-enrollment system.
- Verify the calculation of the monthly premium statements for all group insurance policies and maintain statistical data relative to premiums, claims and costs. Resolve administrative problems with the carrier representatives.
- Administer COBRA.
- Handle enrollments, COBRA, terminations, changes, beneficiaries, disability, accident and death claims, rollovers, QDROs, QMCSOs, distributions, loans, hardships and compliance testing.
- Ensure distribution of required employee notices.
- Prepare and maintain biweekly employee reports, new-hire and etc.
- Assist the Director of Finance in completing benefits reporting requirements.
- Administer employee insurance programs including life, disability, and health insurance plans.
- Assist in developing communication tools to enhance understanding of the company’s benefits package.
- Serve as primary contact for plan vendors and third-party administrators.
- Coordinate transfer of data to external contacts for services, premiums and plan administration.
- Evaluate and revise internal processes to increase efficiency.
- Document and maintain administrative procedures for assigned benefits processes.
- Complete records, reporting, and other documentation required by federal, state, and provider rules and regulations. Ensure compliance with applicable government regulations.
- Maintain employee benefits files, maintain group benefits database and update employee payroll records in the HRIS.
- Perform internal audits to ensure accuracy.
- Participate in meetings and selection for best plans, options and rates with the broker.
- Assist in informing all staff about various employee benefits programs, such as 401(k), and wellness benefits.
- Other duties as assigned.
Accountability and Performance Requirement
- All staff members are accountable for knowing and performing the responsibilities associated with their individual position in an efficient and effective manner, understanding that each of us plays an integral role in the success of our mission. All staff will support the agency mission, vision, standards of conduct, code of ethics and strategic directions and support administrative decisions. This must be demonstrated by maintaining a positive work environment, and by behaving and communicating in an appropriate manner with children, families, coworkers, supervisors and the public while achieving performance expectations.
- AA in Human Resource or related field, and two to three years of related benefits or employee benefits administration experience.
- Computer proficiency and technical aptitude with the ability to use Microsoft products, including PowerPoint; experience with HRIS and benefits databases.
- Project and team management/leadership skills and experience.
- Proven ability to work effectively in a team environment with associates.
- Effective planning and priority setting. Ability to manage several complex projects simultaneously while working under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical skills and a thorough knowledge of plan designs.
- Knowledge of all pertinent federal and state regulations, filing and compliance requirements, both adopted and pending, affecting employee benefits programs, including the ACA, ERISA, COBRA, FMLA, ADA, Section 125, Medicare, and Social Security and DOL requirements.
- Excellent communication and organization skills.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license, and a driving record meeting the driver selection standards as established by Next Door.
- Ability to have regular use of an insured, privately owned vehicle on a daily basis.
- Must have liability insurance of $100,000/$300,000 on first day of employment.
Safety and Health
Next Door is committed to providing a safe work environment and to fostering the well-being and health of its employees. An essential part of each employees’ job is the development of safe working practices and the observance of safety rules, including:
- Following safety warnings and directions at all times.
- Using personal safety devices when required.
- Reporting any unsafe conditions to supervisor.
- Following process for reporting suspected child abuse and neglect.
- Reporting unsupervised children, after ensuring child’s safety.
- Implement active supervision practices at all times, including transition times.
Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at a time.
- Physical exam, drug screen and TB test are required as a condition of initial employment.
- Talking and speaking clearly, hearing conversation level.
- Mainly office setting with occasional travel to various sites for meetings.
- Hybrid work schedule – One remote day per week permitted, dependent upon organizational needs and activities.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
Ability to make frequent, significant decisions to understand and react to the employees and candidates.
- Ability to respond quickly and competently to an emergency or crisis situation in order to keep children and staff safe.