Riveredge is more than a nature center. Its legacy as a pioneer in the areas of land restoration, research, and inquiry-based education throughout Wisconsin serves as a strong foundation to its future initiatives. Today, Riveredge is redefining the role of the nature center in the community by empowering and supporting communities to live in harmony with their natural environment in a way that encourages exploration, adventure, and fun.
With a 50 plus year history as a leader in environmental education in the State of Wisconsin, the Center provides science-based, inquiry-oriented, outdoor experiences to learners of all ages. Recently, Riveredge adopted an “audacious goal” to become the leading destination in the Midwest for learning, discovering, and experiencing the interconnections between nature and society. We will do this through creating partnerships which transform the culture of our formal education systems, communities, and lifestyles. This is an exciting time in the history of Riveredge as we work to pioneer strategies to redefine the role of nature centers in today’s society.
The Riveredge Nature Center Environmental Education Summer Internship is a unique 10 week opportunity for a person just entering the environmental education field who is willing to learn and work with a dedicated group of staff and volunteers. The intern will assist with Riveredge Nature Journeys Summer Camp programs. Depending on the goals of the selected intern, she/he may also assist, observe, and lead Youth and Family programs, Community Rivers programs, and Summer Day Adventure programs. If the Intern chooses to take college and university credit with this program, Riveredge staff will work with him/her to fulfill requirements when applicable. This position is responsible for teaching environmental education programs to school-aged students, families and adults, and the delivery of education events.
- Act as an integral member of the summer camp program team.
- Assist with preparation and delivery of Nature Journeys Summer Camp programs.
- Work with a Co-lead to manage and mentor groups of 10-14 youth ages 3-18 years ensuring their safety, development, growth, skill achievement, and general well being.
- Supervise campers and implement high quality inquiry-based environmental education programs.
- Facilitate and create lesson plans for daily activities.
- Organizes and leads various small and large group activities.
- Teach Summer Day Adventure Programs.
- Assist in caring for any education animals and maintaining educational equipment.
- Other duties as assigned.
In addition to the Primary Duties, the Environmental Education Intern is expected to meet the following expectations set forth to all staff members of Riveredge Nature Center:
- Meaningfully contribute to the Riveredge staff team.
- Foster an inclusive and supportive environment through personal actions such as supporting and helping other staff members and volunteers.
- Provide high quality customer service experiences to all guests and volunteers.
- Strive for excellence and innovation.
- Aspiration to teach and enjoys working with children of all ages and families.
- Strong desire for personal growth and a commitment to learning.
- Completed coursework in the education, natural sciences or related field.
- Self-starter and a well-developed ability to set and meet goals and outcomes.
- Enthusiastic, positive, motivated and likes to have fun on the job.
- Ability to work as a member of a team by sharing decision making while personally assuming and also asking for responsibility and accountability.
- Strong interpersonal skills, organized and professional demeanor, self-directed.
- Ability to physically traverse the Riveredge trails with ease.
- Naturalist skills and knowledge of Wisconsin natural history.
- Experience in a non-formal setting.
Compensation & Working Conditions
This is a stipend position with the expectation that the intern will work 40-46 hrs/wk. Ideally, the Environmental Education Intern will agree to work June 3- August 16. While most hours will take place during the Monday-Friday work week, some evening hours are expected.
Interns will receive a stipend starting at $425/week; housing may be available at either Riveredge Intern House just minutes away from Riveredge at the expense of the intern.
This position reports to Riveredge Associate Director of Education.
Please send resume, cover letter and contact information for three references electronically (in PDF or Word.doc Format) to: Steff Merten, email@example.com.