Schlitz Audubon Nature Center conserves our land’s diverse habitats on Lake Michigan and provides meaningful experiences and environmental education for all. Located nine miles north of downtown Milwaukee on the shore of Lake Michigan, the Center offers six miles of trails that take visitors through 185 unique acres of forests, wetlands, restored prairies, ravines, bluffs, and a shoreline beach. Annually, Schlitz Audubon reaches over 161,000 community members and nearly 20,000 children participate in our nature science education programs. Over 155 preschoolers are enrolled throughout the school year in our nationally recognized Nature Preschool. Schlitz Audubon is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
The Visitor Services Assistant helps ensure everyone has an exceptional experience at Schlitz Audubon Nature Center. Our growing number of constituents includes members, visitors, preschool families, volunteers, rental and event clients, and staff.
- Welcome all visitors and guests at the front entrance Welcome Booth
- Admit all visitors by checking membership cards and collecting daily fees
- Offer individual guidance based on purpose of visit
- Provide highest quality of customer service by sharing information regarding the Center’s land, educational programs, memberships, and any other information that will enhance the visitor’s experience
- Collect data and maintain accurate visitor records
- Open and close-out cash register and prep for next day
- Assist in generating and implementing new ideas that will improve the visitor’s experience
- Other duties as assigned
- Must maintain confidentiality of sensitive and confidential information
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Outstanding customer service skills
- Strong organizational skills
- A sense of humor and an entrepreneurial spirit
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, email, and database software preferred
- Ability to work with a diverse group of people
- Must possess a friendly, confident, and helpful attitude
- Ability to recognize issues and identify solutions
- Personal commitment to the mission of Schlitz Audubon Nature Center
- Able to stand for long periods of time
- Ability to lift objects over 10 pounds
- Other duties as assigned
Flexible schedule, working 18-24 hours/week (3-6 hours/shifts). This position is responsible for working when the Center is open, including evenings, weekends, and rotating holidays. The Center’s summer schedule runs from June through August and open hours are Mon – Thurs 8:30am – 8:00pm and Fri – Sun 8:30am – 5:00pm. The work may be performed in the Center’s stand-alone Welcome Booth located at the entrance, or at our Welcome Desk in the Great Hall of our Visitor Center.
Send cover letter and resume to Lisa Greco at email@example.com with Visitor Services Assistant in the email subject line.