*Salary is commensurate with experience*
The Financial Coach will be dedicated to helping low to moderate income families change financial behavior, build assets and become financially stable. Financial Coaches assess customers’ financial health through one-on-one coaching and then develop a tailored set of recommendations to help customers improve their financial position and pursue their goals. In addition to individualized coaching sessions, Financial Coaches may also deliver financial capability workshops for groups. Financial Coaches require excellent judgement and must exercise professional discretion to accurately assess each customer’s unique situation and effectively develop personalized plans of action. These plans include concrete recommendations for debt reduction, credit improvement, money management, use of financial services, asset protection and the pursuit of short- and long-term goals.
- Work directly with customers to provide high-quality financial coaching via one-on-one coaching and financial capability workshops, including the delivery of personalized financial action plans.
- Assist customers with goal setting, budgeting, credit building/rebuilding, debt repayment, savings, utilization for quality financial services, and asset development.
- Competently assess customers’ current financial situations through review of their tax returns, accounts, credit reports, etc. Monitor customer’s progress toward financial goals.
- Research financial products, consumer rights, and resources on an ongoing basis.
- Maintain files and databases for all customers including, but not limited to, the intake form, credit report, coach’s appointment notes and analysis and action plan.
- Develop and conduct financial education classes.
- Document services and gather session data for program reporting and evaluation.
- Identify and refer customers to other resources and services needed to achieve their financial goal. Identify, cultivate, and maintain relationship with key community partners. Follow up with customers on referrals to other financial service professionals when applicable.
- Provide support, as needed, to other core programs including cross-training in other service areas. Assists with special projects as assigned and other tasks deemed necessary to achieve overall goals and to operate a successful program.
- Adheres to all guidelines related to confidentiality. Follow regulatory and quality-control requirements. Participate in regular team meetings and continued skill-building training sessions.
- Achieve and/or maintain certifications necessary to program delivery.
- Other duties as assigned or requested.
Education: Bachelor’s degree required with major course work in business, management, social services, or related fields.
Financial services expertise: Must have 3-5 years background in financial coaching, banking, asset development and/or a related economic development field. Preferred experience working with low-income families in one or more of the following areas: financial goal setting; budgeting; credit building/rebuilding and debt repayment; utilization of quality financial services; and asset development. Demonstrated ability to calculate financial health markers (debt-to-income ratio, net worth, etc.).
Preferred: U.S. Department of Housing and Development (HUD) Housing Counselor certified or the ability to be certified within six (6) months of hire.
Skills: Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills. Demonstrate organizational skills, with the ability to handle multi-tasking. Knowledge of Microsoft Office software.
- Highly motivated self-starter
- Demonstrates ability to interact effectively and confidently with individuals at all social and economic levels that utilize or support SDC services.
- Ability to work independently and as a productive team member.
- Flexible, adaptive and positive in a constantly changing environment
- Detail-oriented, with a willingness to learn new skills and techniques to promote quality, efficiency and successful customer outcomes.
- Ability to identify internal weaknesses, identify solutions, and adapt coaching methods and tools to create more effective organizational and client outcomes.
- Ability to sense when clients are overwhelmed and break major objectives in manageable steps.
- Dedicated to engage/motivate/encourage customers and help them resolve financial challenges and accomplish goals.
- Creative, practical and strategic problem solving skills
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The phrases “occasionally,” “regularly,” and “frequently” correspond to the following definitions: “Occasionally” means up to 1/3 of working time, “regularly” means between 1/3 and 2/3 of working time, and “frequently” means 2/3 and more working time.
- While performing the duties and responsibilities of this position, the employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The incumbent will regularly sit, and will frequently talk and listen and use hands to finger, handle or touch. Specific vision requirements for this position include close vision and the ability to adjust focus. During the performance of his/her duties, the incumbent will regularly lift up to 10 pounds and occasionally up to 20 pounds.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee works regularly in an office environment where the noise level is moderate.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by staff assigned to this position. They are not be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
To apply, please visit our listing of job opportunities. We hope to hear from you soon!