Food Justice Summer Intern Job Description
Tikkun Ha-Ir is looking for a food justice intern to assist us on our Veggie Chop Shop program for about 10-15 hours a week starting in July and ending depending on student availability.
Tikkun Ha-Ir (THI) of Milwaukee is a local, Jewish not-for-profit that seeks to create a more just Milwaukee by uniting Jews of all backgrounds in study, action and civic engagement. Tikkun Ha-Ir is translated from Hebrew to English as”Repair the City.” THI offers direct service to neighbors in need in the city of Milwaukee. This position is open to ANYONE who is interested in pursing food justice work.
The Veggie Chop Shop (VCS) is THI’s signature annual program. It is a community meal program that utilizes excess produce from area farmer’s markets and turns it into delicious, healthy meals for the food insecure in our city.
We are looking for an intern to help us:
- As a key staff in the kitchen on Tuesdays (approx. 8:30am – 4pm)
- Support gleaning efforts during the week, specifically on Wednesday and Sunday afternoons. Gleaning will occur weekly at Fondy Farmers Market and Brown Deer Farmers Market. Other market and farm gleanings TBA
- Assist to coordinate logistics, between food deliveries/ pick up and food drop off
- Assist to coordinate gleaning and VCS volunteers
- Foster relationships with volunteers, other kitchen staff and recipient agencies
Ability to lift 25 lbs, twist and bend, work on your feet
Hours: 10-15 hours per week on average
PAID internship: $14/hr
Timeframe: July 2024-August 2024 (8 weeks, additional time available for local students!)
Please email resume/letter of interest to Brandice Kirchner: email@example.com