Child Care Teacher
Location: Milwaukee, WI – Washington Park Neighborhood
Position Type: Full-time
Compensation: Starting at $15/hr; Market-competitive, based upon experience and qualifications
Reports to: Director of Child Care
Agency: United Methodist Children’s Services of WI, Inc. (UMCS)
Established in 1962, UMCS has a deep commitment to and long-standing presence in Milwaukee’s Washington Park neighborhood, where it has provided a wide range of social service programs and assistance to low-income, marginalized families, including childcare, supportive housing, community health promotion, community organizing, emergency food pantry and family resource center services, and social work.
UMCS’s Growing Tree Children’s Center is looking for Early Childhood Teachers to make a positive, life-long impact on children, supporting their learning by providing age-appropriate activities and materials that children find engaging and that supports their developmental growth. Teacher will build caring, trusting, and respectful relationships with children and their families while nurturing each child in all aspects of development; socially, emotionally, cognitively, and physically.
Primary Responsibilities and Essential Job Functions
- Plans and executes appropriate activities for the children each day in art, music, language, and motor development, including outdoor play.
- Plans and executes appropriate activities for the children each week in science, math, and multicultural experiences
- Maintain portfolio with observations, assessments, and collections of children’s growth and development.
- Assures the welfare, health, and safety for all children in the Center
- Actively meets the individual needs of all children, participating in training when necessary to meet these needs
- Evaluate each child’s progress and provide a written report using data obtained from observations, interactions and assessments, maintained in child’s portfolio, and shared with parents at least twice per year during parent conferences.
- Provides for safety, security and confidentiality of all children
- Works cooperatively with staff members, administration and parents
- Participates in parent conferences as necessary
- Attends staff meetings and parent functions
- When in classroom, eats meals with children
- Meets training and continuing education requirements established by licensing standards and Agency policy.
- Meets all reporting requirements of the position
- Responsible for adherence to established standards of courtesy, discipline, attendance and dress code
- Contributes to growth/development/mission/vision of United Methodist Children’s Services
- Represents the Agency to community groups and collateral organizations as assigned
- Completes additional assignments and tasks as assigned by Center and or UMCS administration
- High School Diploma
- Registry Certification
- Pass State of Wisconsin Background Check
- Demonstrated awareness of boundary/safety and confidentiality issues inherent to childcare
- Ability to write and speak clearly
- Ability to present information in an organized manner
- Ability to communicate effectively with a diverse client population and the general public
- Ability to function as a member of a multi-disciplinary team
- Must be able to sit, stand, walk, lift, squat, bend, reach above shoulders, go up and down stairs, and twist
- Will occasionally be required to lift up to 25 pounds without assistance
- Will occasionally be required to lift up to 25 pounds with assistance
*****$500 hiring bonus for new childcare teacher*****
Professional development assistance offered for childcare teachers
Paid time off vacation/holidays; Employer-supported 403(b) retirement/savings plan; Individual Coverage Health Reimbursement Allowance (ICHRA); Discounted onsite childcare available via the Growing Tree Children’s Center; Short-Term Disability; Life Insurance.
To Apply: send cover letter and resume including three professional references with contact name/title/company/phone number to: HR@umcs-wi.org
Apply in person at:
United Methodist Children's Services of WI, Inc.
3940 W. Lisbon Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53208
Incomplete submissions will be dismissed.