The Wisconsin Humane Society (WHS) is looking for a summer camp counselor to join our youth programs team as a seasonal staff member. The camp counselor would support camps at our Ozaukee and Milwaukee Campuses. WHS is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) corporation and is excited to bring your skills to support our mission, which is to make a difference in the lives of animals and the people who love them. The youth programs team engages young people through fun and educational programs throughout the year. This position will work 40 hours each week for 8 weeks, including a training week, from June 6-August 12 (no camps the week July 4-8). This camp counselor will support across our Milwaukee and Ozaukee Campuses. Summer camps engage young people who have completed grades 1-9 through animal interaction, arts and crafts, games, and educational activities. Most of the camp day takes place indoors at our campus facilities, but some time is spent outside each day weather permitting. The pay for this role is $15 per hour, and there is a $500 signing bonus that will be paid out across the summer. Counselors are responsible for following COVID safety precautions for the campers.
- Lead campers through games, hands-on activities, presentations, and interactions with animals
- Facilitate high-impact camp programs in alignment with organizational resources and priorities
- Support youth program volunteers who assist with camp activities
- Provide a safe, interactive learning environment for campers and animals in a fast-paced environment
- Follow all camp and youth programs protocols, including COVID safety protocols
- Monitor effectiveness of camp activities and programs and work with youth programs staff on any adjustments needed
- Set up and clean up camp space and classrooms
- Address concerns such as camper behavior and health as needed
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications & Requirements
- Must be at least 18 years old
- High school diploma or equivalent experience
- Ability to travel to both the Milwaukee and Ozaukee Campuses
- Comfortable presenting to diverse groups of young people and communicating to a wide variety of audiences
- Dedicated to providing strong customer service
- Comfortable working with young people and meeting them where they are
- Works well with a team and can lead outlined activities with minimal supervision
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and demonstrate flexibility while juggling multiple responsibilities
- Experience and ability to effectively work with young people who have completed grades 1-9
- Comfortable handling dogs, cats, and small animals like rabbits and guinea pigs
- Commitment to treating animals with respect and kindness
- Bilingual candidates strongly encouraged to apply
Signing Bonus: the WHS is offering a $500 signing bonus for this seasonal position. The bonus will be distributed as $100 after completing training week, $100 mid-summer, and $300 at the end of the summer.
This position is paid at an hourly rate of $15.00/hour.
All staff are eligible for the following benefits package on their hire date:
- 30% off discount on animal adoption fees
- 10% off merchandise discount in our Animal Antics Store
- Limited retail (i.e. apparel, pet food, special order merchandise), service fee, event, and education program discounts
Come see why over 200 staff call one of WHS’s 6 locations home! You’ll be happy you did!
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Wisconsin Humane Society (WHS) is the oldest and largest shelter in Wisconsin. It was founded in 1879 and operates shelters in Milwaukee, Ozaukee, Racine, Door, and Brown Counties, as well as a Spay/Neuter Clinic in West Allis. The organization offers adoption services, educational programming, and veterinary resources for animals from low-income households, retail stores, volunteer programs, and dog training classes. The Milwaukee shelter also houses the states busiest Wildlife Rehabilitation Center. WHS is an independent nonprofit and receives no general government funding and is not part of any national umbrella group.
To apply, please visit www.wihumane.org/employment to complete and submit an online employment application. Only applications submitted through our online application system may be considered. Please know that it is our policy to reply to every application received once we have a status update.