Are you a passionate animal lover looking for a rewarding career? Come work for a leader in animal welfare! The Wisconsin Humane Society (WHS) has opportunities for reliable, professional, compassionate, and well-organized individuals to join our Milwaukee Campus team as part-time Adoption Counselor/Animal Care Technicians (AC/ACT), working both weekdays and a weekend shift.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Minimize disease transmission by staying current on and adhering to animal care cleaning guidelines.
- Ensure excellent customer service focused on maintaining and improving relationships in all aspects of our client-related work.
- Maintain high standards of cleanliness of all animal kennels while balancing the efficiency needed to care for a high volume of animals.
- Model an open adoption approach that is congruent with our organizational philosophy.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the importance of shelter length of stay.
- Facilitate and support all aspects of adoption and arrivals processes to meet organizational objectives.
- Ensure animals are provided with food, water, enrichment, and other daily needs.
- Ensure health of animals by performing intake procedures and following established procedures for follow-up care needed.
- Demonstrate safe and appropriate animal handling at all times.
- Provide support to the veterinary and behavior departments by administering treatments and assisting in assessments as needed.
- Promote and model positive interpersonal communication and relationship building internally and externally.
- Assist in facility maintenance by overseeing special cleaning projects.
- Maintain proper opening and closing procedures for the department.
- All other duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Related college degree or equivalent experience is preferred; high school diploma or equivalent required.
- Formal animal care experience a plus.
- Strong attention to detail in all aspects of work.
- Flexible, positive approach to challenges.
- Availability to work evenings, a weekend shift and holidays.
- Ability to prioritize tasks in a fast paced environment.
- Candidates must be able to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Candidates must be committed to treating animals and humans with kindness and respect.
All staff are eligible for the following benefits package on their hire date:
- 403(b) Retirement Plan
- 30% off discount on animal adoption fees
- 10% off merchandise discount in our Animal Antics Store
- *Limited retail (i.e. apparel, pet food, special order merchandise), service fee, event, and education program discounts
*Available on the first of the month following 60 days of consecutive employment after the hire date.
Come see why over 200 staff call one of WHS’s 6 locations home! You’ll be happy you did!
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Wisconsin Humane Society believes in equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment. WHS’s success depends on the effective utilization of qualified people regardless of the age, race, creed, color, disability, marital status, veteran status, sex, national origin, ancestry, sexual preference, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The Wisconsin Humane Society (WHS) is the oldest and largest shelter in Wisconsin. It was founded in 1879 and operates shelters in Milwaukee, Ozaukee, Racine, Door, and Brown Counties, as well as a Spay/Neuter Clinic in West Allis. The organization offers adoption services, educational programming, and veterinary resources for animals from low-income households, retail stores, volunteer programs and dog training classes. The Milwaukee shelter also houses the states busiest Wildlife Rehabilitation Center. WHS is an independent nonprofit and receives no general government funding and is not part of any national umbrella group.
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, please visit our employment page at www.wihumane.org/employment to begin your online employment application. Only applications submitted through our online application system may be considered. Please know that it is our policy to reply to each and every application received once we have a status update.