The Wisconsin Humane Society is now seeking a Veterinary Assistant Intern at our Ozaukee Campus for a summer internship (June-August 2023)! This is an unpaid, seasonal internship ideal for individuals interested in veterinary medicine in an animal shelter environment. This is a part-time position where candidates can work up to 30 hours/week. Interns will have the opportunity to assist our veterinary staff with a variety of duties, while gaining valuable veterinary field experience. Interns will be responsible for their own transportation and living arrangements.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Preparing and/or administering animal treatments
- Assisting with surgery preparation and surgical recovery
- Assisting with the movement of patients, recovery of patients, and general flow
- Surgical pack prep/sterilization
- Cleaning of veterinary clinic and exam rooms
- Assisting with foster appointments
- All other duties as assigned
Qualifications & Requirements
- Must be able to work standing or sitting for 8 or more hours
- Able to lift and carry up to 50lbs repeatedly throughout the day with help
- Candidate should be highly motivated, enthusiastic self-starter with a professional attitude
- Candidates must be committed to treating animals and humans with kindness and respect
Please click on the “Learn How to Apply” button below for application instructions.
Come see why over 200 staff call one of WHS’s 6 locations home! You’ll be happy you did!
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Wisconsin Humane Society (WHS) is the oldest and largest shelter in Wisconsin. It was founded in 1879 and operates shelters in Milwaukee, Ozaukee, Racine, Door, and Brown Counties, as well as a Spay/Neuter Clinic in West Allis. The organization offers adoption services, educational programming, and veterinary resources for animals from low-income households, retail stores, volunteer programs and dog training classes. The Milwaukee shelter also houses the states busiest Wildlife Rehabilitation Center. WHS is an independent nonprofit and receives no general government funding and is not part of any national umbrella group.
To apply, please visit www.wihumane.org/employment to complete and submit an online employment application. Only applications submitted through our online application system may be considered. Please know that it is our policy to reply to every application received once we have a status update.