The Project Manager serves as a key person who keeps construction projects on houses that are acquired by the Acts Acquisition Fund moving forward. Both major and minor rehab of existing houses will be managed as part of the job. The position works in conjunction with the Director of Real Estate to plan and manage projects, develop reports on job costs, solicit and schedule contractors, and produce project scopes of work in addition to managing internal teams and external.
A successful Project Manager will have knowledge of construction management, have strong communication skills, be proficient in managing budgets and have a passion for Milwaukee neighborhoods.
What You’ll Do:
- Schedule and manage contractors and subcontractors to complete housing projects that include minor and gut-rehabs of existing houses
- Plan, direct, and coordinate construction remodeling projects and help manage the day-to-day operations of the real estate acquisition fund
- Solicit contractor bids based upon established procedures
- Coordinate purchase and payment of construction materials
- Document project specifications and scope of work estimates using known estimated pricing
- Serve as liaison with City of Milwaukee Department of Neighborhood Services inspectors and others for permits and all inspections and final sign-offs
- Track job costs within established budgets and expedite payments to contractors
- Liaison with government, Title Company and internal finance department.
- Assist in selection of future projects to include finding and procuring houses to rehab
- Interact with and participate on community events held by potential sponsors or grantors on behalf of Acts Housing
- Responsible for maintaining records used in periodic reports required by various funding agencies
- Possess excellent communication and computer skills
- Demonstrated abilities in a variety of real estate areas such as: strategic planning, financial analysis, project/construction management and transaction management
- Five years related work experience in project management, real estate or similar field
- Successfully demonstrate the ability to lead a team
- Construction and/or construction management experience
- Computer skills, that include CRM and spreadsheet proficiency
- Basic accounting knowledge that reconciles and tracks costs related to houses
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team, while also taking full responsibility for projects, start to finish
- Valid driver’s license and registered, insured vehicle (required travel to multiple jobs sites daily)
- Bilingual language skills (Spanish/English) valued but not required
- Experience with non-profits and/or government programs valued but not required
- All Acts Housing employees must be Covid-19 vaccinated
- Other duties as assigned
- Physical ability to walk properties for inspections (inspections require a sense of smell, ability to hear reasonably well, and ability to see) and travel up 3 or more flights of stairs without difficulty, especially those in need of significant repairs
- Able to use the telephone and communicate verbally
- Vision sufficient to visually observe the detailed condition of homes and structures
- Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar
Benefits & Perks:
- Paid Time Off (15+ days based on tenure) plus 12 Paid Holidays and 4 Personal Half Days
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance (United Healthcare)
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Health Savings Account (HSA)
- 401(k) with 3% Company Match
- Welfare Benefits Plan – term life, personal accident, and disability insurance
- Voluntary Life and Personal Accident Insurance
- Adoption Assistance Program
- Maternity/Paternity/Adoption Leave
- Paid Bereavement Leave
- Commuter Benefits Program
- Payroll Direct Deposit and Debit Card Options
- Access to online library of 3,000 courses and 20,000 digital books
- Discounts to various goods and services via the Insperity MarketPlace
About Acts Housing: Over its 26-year history, Acts housing has helped more than 3,000 low-to-moderate income families achieve homeownership; 950 of those families reclaimed distressed properties with Acts’ support. Acts’ full suite of homeownership services makes it a nationally recognized leader in homeownership, with significant demand both from our neighbors and community stakeholders to do even more to support new and existing markets. In 2021 alone, Acts supported more than 270 families to transition from renters to owners (a 50% increase over our prior best year ever!).
Acts is a dynamic and growing organization that is adding new employees in 2022 to better meet the needs of families in the markets we currently serve (Milwaukee and Beloit) and future markets that are eager to benefit from our homeownership services.
Acts Housing Homeownership Acquisition Program:
Milwaukee is losing 1,000 homeowners of Color every year, a pace that has persisted over the past decade. This terrible trend for neighborhood stability has been driven by absentee investor owners who are buying up large swaths of single-family homes and turning them into permanent (and often poorly maintained) rentals. The Acts Housing Homeownership Acquisition program will disrupt the absentee investor owner business model by outcompeting them for the best homes, making these homes available to low-to-moderate income (LMI) families for owner occupancy.
Acts Housing was incorporated in 1995 to empower families of LMI through homeownership. For Acts’ first 15 years, its services included homebuyer coaching, real estate brokerage services, and home rehab support. In the aftermath of the foreclosure crisis, when banks simply would not lend to families to help purchase and rehab distressed, foreclosed homes, Acts filled the void, forming Acts Lending, a nonprofit lending affiliate in 2013. Now, faced with the growing land grab by predatory investors, Acts is prepared to innovate yet again, forming this new social enterprise to further its mission.
Because of Acts’ commitment to its mission, the organizational culture often feels more like a start-up than a nonprofit. The Real Estate Acquisition Program is a new service line led by Dorothy York (who served as Acts’ COO for five years before accepting the position of VP Real Estate). This department will operate at a fast pace alongside complimentary programming including homebuyer coaching, Acts Lending, and home rehab coaching. With a goal of acquiring 100 properties per year by 2023, candidates that are brought onto the team can expect both challenges and the incredible reward of helping families access affordable, stable, sustainable housing.
Click on this link to watch a short 3-minute video about Acts Housing before applying.
Acts Housing embraces equity and inclusion. We seek a diverse pool of candidates for our open positions knowing that a team comprised of people with unique characteristics, experiences and identity allow us to better serve our communities.
Please click on this link to apply: Project Manager