POSITION TITLE: Communications/Social Media Specialist
STATUS: Multiple positions available.
- Part-time Employee, approximately 20 hours per week
- Limited Term Employee (could be extended depending upon mutual fit, ongoing program needs and program funding)
LOCATION: Job responsibilities will be required to be performed from Milwaukee office.
HOURS: Once the training period is completed, these positions will have varied work hours with some flexibility, between the hours of 9:00am-9:00pm and potential for attending events outside of regular hours (weekends).
JOB PURPOSE: To create and market social media content (e.g., original text, images, videos, infographics, interactive content, news) to encourage audiences in Milwaukee to engage with Alma Center programming and resources, including accessing our helpline, gaining resources, enrolling in programming, and donating to fundraising efforts. To increase awareness of the impact of unresolved trauma, healthy relationship to self, intimate partners, and the community through multimedia imagery. To tell the stories of the Alma Center in creative and engaging ways to promote a nuanced understanding of compassionate accountability and what that type of vulnerability looks and sounds like.
The IDEAL CANDIDATE is optimistic, creative, curious, has a playful spirit, and is eager to learn; is collaborative, generative and able to work interdependently on a team; is a deep listener and effective visual translator; and is open to feedback and direction. The ideal candidate also has a fundamental belief in human goodness and people’s ability and capacity to change; demonstrates awareness, commitment and courage to address oppression and privilege within self and others; has done enough of their own work to be able to show-up authentic, grounded, and vulnerable with other team members and the people; and is enthusiastic about Alma Center’s work. We are looking for candidates who bring passion and skill to this position and see this as an opportunity to create meaningful, positive change and not just a job.
WHO ARE WE? The Alma Center is a community-based not-for-profit agency with a mission to heal unresolved trauma and transform and evolve self, relationships, and community. We envision a world where all people are connected to and making choices aligned with their Authentic (loving, lovable, capable, whole and enough) Self.
The Alma Center’s innovative practice of Healing Focused Care (HFC) is an evidence-informed paradigm for transformational work to break cycles of hurt and harm that is solidly grounded in the contemporary understanding of trauma and healing. It is a comprehensive model for thinking about, envisioning, and doing transformational work. HFC targets the healing potential of supportive, authentic, trusting relationships to surface the inherent resiliency and wisdom of people who have experienced trauma and awaken a person’s own internal capacities to become the best version of themselves. HFC is embodied in the Alma Center’s organizational culture and is fostered through ongoing and purposeful expectations of vulnerability, authenticity and compassionate accountability with each other and the people we serve.
TRAINING. All new hires will receive extensive training and ongoing coaching and supervision on the Alma Center’s practices of HFC. HFC training is not just about the acquisition of information and knowledge, it is also very much about applied practice which means all staff are required to engage personally in their own healing work.
Responsibilities to Fulfilling the Alma Center Mission:
Work willingly, honestly and courageously on your own journey of healing unresolved trauma and liberating from oppression and privilege to ensure that your personal issues and triggers do not interfere with your ability to be fully present, compassionate, authentic, vulnerable, trustworthy, and appropriate in your interactions, expectations, and accountability with the people we serve and other team members.
- In fulfillment of this job responsibility, all team members are required to participate in the organizational practice of Emotional Wellness which include mindfulness, healing circles, deep personal and group trauma resolution work, and healing community rituals. We expect our team to courageously and wholeheartedly walk the same journey of healing we offer to the people we serve.
- Create, nurture and sustain a culture of Healing Focused Care.
Core Job Functions:
- Generate, edit, publish, and share engaging content multiple times per week (e.g. original text, photos, videos, interactive content, and news) for Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and YouTube.
- Collaborate with team members and staff to ensure messaging accurately reflects the Alma Center’s branding and philosophy.
- Promote Alma Center programming and philosophy of Healing Focused Care on social media and other marketing materials.
- Publicize fundraising events throughout the year and solicit donations.
- Respond to comments, mentions, and direct messages in a timely manner and in a voice that is consistent with the Alma Center’s mission to increase public understanding and model productive, accountable communication.
- Develop and carry out marketing strategies to increase the reach of the Alma Center’s social media impact.
- Attend and film/photograph/record Alma Center programming and events to generate content for social media, marketing materials, and website, and interact in a manner consistent with Alma Center’s values.
- Photograph, film, write, and edit media content that highlights the Alma Center’s work.
- Organize media content.
- Perform administrative responsibilities as assigned, and as necessary, to ensure successful operation of program, and work with team continuously to improve and create further efficiencies in operations.
- Practice compassionate accountability by actualizing conscious choice, setting clear expectations, supporting people to achieve expectations, understanding the journey is not linear, allowing the flow of natural consequence positive or negative, and holding an open space for the journey to continue.
- Build honest, authentic, and trusting relationships with other team members to continue to learn and grow together, hold each other accountable, and advance the culture of Healing Focused Care and vision of the Alma Center.
- Be on time, prepared, fully present without distraction, and open to learning for all meetings, classes, appointments and required activities.
- Be willing and open to filling in for other staff members when necessary, and for taking on new and other responsibilities when identified, necessary, prioritized or deemed essential.
We are hiring multiple positions and seeking candidates who have one or more of the following technical skills.
- Video production and editing: Ability to create and edit basic video content for social media
- Graphic design: Ability to create engaging, branded content for social media content
- Marketing: Ability to propose, design and implement effective social media and other outreach strategies
- Ability to use Zoom and Microsoft Office programs – including Outlook.
Education and Experience
These positions are open to people with or without degreed credentials who are experienced in or studying marketing, graphic design, film, photography, communications, or a related field.
Please submit a written cover letter, audio or video recorded message explaining why you are interested in this position and how you see your skills, learning and experience lining-up with the responsibilities, core functions and expectations of the position. Please include a resume with your submission.
Submit your application material to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Attn: Hiring Dept.
2821 N. Vel R. Phillips Avenue, Third Floor
Milwaukee, WI 53212
Salary commensurate with experience and education. The Alma Center offers three weeks paid vacation and 32 hours sick leave for first-year employees, increasing to four weeks paid vacation in second year. The Alma Center also offers individual health insurance and pays 80 percent of the monthly premium.
The Alma Center is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer