Anticipated start date: January 2024
The Recruitment & Outreach Specialist is a team player who demonstrates a passion for connecting and networking in the community. Must have outstanding customer service skills and strong communication skills to speak in front of large and small groups, both in-person and/or virtually. The position requires the ability to work independently with drive, enthusiasm, creativity, and flexibility.
The Recruitment & Outreach Specialist coordinates and executes agency-wide volunteer and youth recruitment efforts as needed to reach monthly match goals for the agency. This position cultivates new and existing collegiate, corporate, and community partnerships to attract new volunteers to mentor youth in our program. This position reports directly to the Director of Community Engagement (DOCE) but will also work closely with program staff to align needs, track prospective volunteer candidates, attend BBBS events, meet current volunteers, and gain awareness of the volunteer experience.
The Recruitment & Outreach Specialist is an active representative of Big Brothers Big Sisters (BBBS) in our community. Primary duties include volunteer recruitment, increasing awareness for the agency, attending meetings, developing new ways to market mentoring opportunities, tabling events, and presentation planning.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university preferred, with an emphasis in communication, business, and/or marketing.
- Evening and weekend hours are required to meet the needs of this May through September is our peak time for recruitment opportunities.
- A minimum of two years of experience in recruiting, customer service, sales, or grassroots campaign experience.
- Experience working with volunteers, youth, and families in a social service setting. Knowledge and understanding of child safety and youth protection.
Competencies and Skills
- Exceptional communication skills – both written and verbal; Experienced public speaking skills with the ability to connect people to the mission and volunteer options. Must be charismatic, persuasive, professional, engaging, and dynamic with the ability to share the power of mentoring and the impact volunteering will have on the life of a youth as well as the volunteer.
- Excellent customer service skills and approachable demeanor.
- Demonstrated success in sales, working with volunteers or recruitment with proven ability to meet quantitative goals.
- Ability to create and facilitate formal and informal presentations to various sized groups and diverse audiences in-person and/or virtually.
- Highly motivated, confident, organized, detail-oriented, and self-driven to meet goals.
- Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills with proven ability to work with diverse populations.
- Ability to work effectively with colleagues, promoting cross-functional analysis and organization-wide problem solving.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality throughout daily operations and communications.
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office: including Word, Outlook, Excel, Publisher, PowerPoint, and comfortable learning new systems and programs.
- Responsible for generating new contacts to build awareness and increase volunteer inquiries to meet annual recruitment metrics.
- Assist in creation and implementation of volunteer recruitment strategies that includes new and existing partnerships with collegiate, corporate, and community organizations to acquire new volunteers to reach new match goals across all mentoring programs.
- Effectively engage existing volunteers in recruitment efforts by providing support to the Big Advisory Group and volunteer engagement efforts. Utilize current volunteers in outreach events and speaking engagements to share their personal experiences.
- Deliver inspiring presentations by incorporating real-life match stories, impressive youth outcomes, and a “call to action.” Customize presentations to align with target audience(s).
- Assist the DOCE with Board Member companies, strategic corporate, collegiate and community partners to uncover engagement opportunities for BBBS.
Planning and Organizing
- Assist the DOCE to develop an annual operating plan with identified strategies to achieve annual and monthly goals for securing new partnerships, number of potential volunteer inquiries, and outreach events attended.
- Research, identify, and cultivate potential sources for new volunteers including but not limited to Milwaukee and Waukesha corporations, college/universities, government agencies, churches, social organizations, non-profit agencies, law enforcement groups, and professional organizations.
- Create a system to efficiently organize and implement an aggressive recruitment strategy and follow up on leads, partnerships, and opportunities.
- Evaluate, track, and report progress as it relates to operating plan and monthly goals.
- Participate in Big Brothers Big Sisters of America network ‘Recruitment Across the Federation’ group initiatives. Regularly connect with similar BBBS and local youth serving agencies for innovative ideas and best practices regarding volunteer recruitment.
- Represent BBBS at community outreach events in targeted areas to build awareness of the agency, mission, and recruitment needs.
- Plan, set up, and attend tabling and related events to generate volunteer leads.
- Distribute marketing materials to strategic locations and partnerships.
- Utilize and regularly manage community websites to post volunteer and event opportunities.
- Must maintain a professional image and adjust to align with multiple target audiences.
Communication and Collaboration
- Maintain ongoing communication with program staff to keep inspiring match stories and volunteer trends current for presentations and corporate partnership updates.
- Update staff with recruiting efforts and upcoming events.
- Prioritize proactive communication with our existing volunteers.
- Cultivate long-term sustainable relationships with organizations and other community partners through effective stewardship and communications.
- Develop strong relationships with target populations that are prone to volunteer, give back to their community, and have an affinity to mentoring.
- Assist with marketing and outreach efforts including consistent promotion of volunteer opportunities and events via social media, online postings, email blasts, and word of mouth.
Please see www.bbbsmilwaukee.org/careers for a list of agency requirements for all positions.
Mail: Big Brothers Big Sisters of Metro Milwaukee
788 N. Jefferson St. Ste. 600
Milwaukee, WI 53202-3739
Fax: (414) 607-0135