What You’ll Do:
As a City Year Milwaukee AmeriCorps member, you will serve on diverse teams of 17-25 year olds to provide support to students, classrooms and the whole school, helping to ensure that students in systematically under-resourced schools receive a high-quality education. Your service will focus on tutoring and mentoring elementary, middle and/or high school students. You will help students earn academic success, improve their attendance, learn social-emotional skills and develop positive behaviors at school.
Role and Responsibilities:
We provide 5 weeks of training at the beginning of the service year to support you. Plus, you will work with partner teachers and school staff every step of the way.
- Support academic coaching and social emotional development for students:
- Work with identified students one on one and in small groups for assignment completion
- Develop social-emotional skills throughout a student’s day, using proven strategies of learning, practicing, reflection and repetition
- Collaborate with teachers and team members to collect data, record, analyze and monitor individual student progress
- Create an engaging, safe and healthy classroom space in collaboration with the teacher
- Support Whole School initiatives to increase engagement with students and families:
- Support and/or conduct after school activities for students before, during and after school including, but not limited to, academic enrichment and intervention, homework support, recreation and student clubs, service learning, and leadership development
- Engage students, parents/guardians, and/or community members in education or social issues through member led themed events at schools or on virtual platforms
City Year benefits:
You will receive:
- 2023-2024 Full Year Position: $1,122 bi-weekly living stipend
- $6,895 Segal Education Award
- Childcare benefits paid by AmeriCorps
- Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Talkspace Therapy Program
- Workers’ compensation
- Career and University partnerships and scholarships
- City Year / AmeriCorps Uniform parts
- Loan forbearance and interest accrual payments for qualified student loans
Deadline to apply is June 22nd.
- Between the ages of 17-25
- Be a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident (Authorization to work in the U.S. is not sufficient. Those with DACA status unfortunately are not eligible at this time)
- Have a GED or high school diploma
- Agree to complete a background check and drug test to work within Milwaukee Public Schools
How to Apply:
For more information on how to apply, fill out: pages.cityyear.org/Ysel-Nicholson.html.
To apply to this role, complete the application on our website.