WHY WORK FOR COMMON GROUND?
Common Ground is a multi-racial, nonpartisan group of everyday people dedicated to building power to bring about more racial equity and economic justice, to hold elected and corporate officials accountable, and to create positive change in the Greater Milwaukee area. Common Ground’s success is rooted in the commitment of its forty-two member organizations: congregations, neighborhood groups, non-profits, small businesses, and schools. We identify and develop leaders. We set daring goals, create savvy strategies, and are willing to stand up to powerful interests. We get results.
You can make an impact. Common Ground has a 14-year track record of creating meaningful change around foreclosure, education, youth jobs, health care access, voting, safe neighborhoods, and more. Visit our website to see our current campaigns and our legacy campaigns: www.commongroundwi.org.
You will work alongside a great people and in the service of a talented, inspiring, dedicated, diverse group of leaders. We take our drive to build power and create change for the common good seriously and work hard, but we also strive to do so with joy, a sense of humor, and balance. We take the work seriously but try not to take ourselves too seriously.
We strive for a culture of learning, growth, and development. We encourage staff and leaders to bring their full selves with their unique talents and passions. While everyone must do a certain amount of grunt work, we try to make sure everyone also has the chance to work on projects that stretch them and are deeply meaningful.
Duties and roles include but are not limited to:
- Maintain CG databases – the primary one is in Nation Builder
- Enter donations in Quick Books; send tax/thank you letters using MS Word mail merge
- Membership Organization dues: send statements & maintain records
- Handle logistics and create donor packets for Annual Friends Kick-Off
- Generate reports and provide administrative support for Friends Team
- Draft and email meeting notifications, reminders, announcements, news, directions, etc. (Facility with Spanish language is a plus, but not a requirement.)
- Create electronic and paper flyers for assemblies and events
- Track RSVPs with Google forms
- Make minor updates to CG website (Square Space)
- Format documents
- Event Planning and Logistics
- Take lead on planning and executing logistics for press conferences, assemblies (1-3 per year), and other CG Actions. These can be digital, in-person or hybrid events with 10 – 1,200 people attending.
- Organize logistics for monthly CG Strategy Team meetings
- Office Management
- Monitor phone, voicemail, and email. Handle reasonable requests in timely manner
- Identify and organize leaders who are willing to assist you
- Order supplies
- Maintain files, equipment, supplies, subscriptions
- Attend and engage in weekly CG staff meetings. Meet weekly with Lead Organizer/Executive Director
- Work with issue campaign teams, helping with administrative needs
SKILLS AND QUALITIES NEEDED
- Can prioritize, organize, and complete multiple projects in a fast-paced environment. Exceptional time and project management skills.
- Passion for tackling some of Milwaukee’s problems and making meaningful change. Commitment to racial equity and economic justice is essential.
- Communicates well
- Likes to learn and grow
- Flexible and has a sense of humor
- Anticipates requests or concerns.
- Self-disciplined and reliable. Can work independently and on a team.
- Driven to achieve outcomes. Takes the initiative and solves problems.
- Computer literacy in Google Suite, Excel, MS Word, Power Point, and Zoom.
- Familiarity with Quick Books, Nation Builder, VAN, Square Space is a plus.
- Ability to design process for and manage the collection of data from volunteers and staff
- Detail-oriented but also understands the big picture
- Strong planning capabilities
- Needs driver’s license and vehicle.
HOURS AND BENEFITS
- 30 hours a week with some flexibility; occasional evening and weekend hours required
- Work remotely or in an office
- Salaried position ($34,000 – $40,000)
- Health Insurance
- Holidays and paid time off
- Available immediately
To apply send a letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. I am considering applications as they come in.
Common Ground is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, people of color, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ+ are strongly encouraged to apply.