Title: Development Manager
Report to: Director of Development
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Job Summary: Community Smiles Dental (CSD) is seeking an energetic, team-oriented and results-driven Development Manager to join our team and support our fund development efforts. Our Development Manager plays an important role in growing contributed revenue by impacting many areas of development, including but not limited to special event logistics, our annual fund, donor stewardship, in-kind donations and much more! Community Smiles Dental improves the lives of the underserved through oral healthcare services, preventive education, and advocating for system healthcare change – because everyone deserves a healthy smile. We are seeking a Development Manager who would primarily be located at our administrative offices in Waukesha, with representation at our clinic sites, community engagements and events as directed, sometimes outside of regular business hours.
Community Smiles Dental (formerly the Waukesha County Community Dental Clinic) was established in 2008 as a full time, non-profit clinic serving low-income children, special needs patients, pregnant women and medically-fragile adults with crucial dental care services. The organization opened a second clinic in 2018 and is expanding its regional impact throughout Waukesha, Milwaukee, Ozaukee, and Washington Counties. Roughly 60% of our operations are reliant on community donations. Ongoing and successful fundraising is key to our success and continued impact. This is an exciting position intended to support our growth specific to these areas.
Major Responsibility Areas
- Supports mission, vision and core values of Community Smiles Dental, emphasizing a first-in-class donor experience through development work in the areas of special events, annual fund, donor stewardship, in-kind fundraising, United Way and CSD Board of Directors and Executive Leadership Council committees.
- Maintains strong and positive working and interpersonal relationships with all employed at Community Smiles Dental including interns, externs and volunteers.
- Understands and is able to comply with all employment policies and procedures defined by Community Smiles Dental.
- Performs duties and responsibilities under the following major responsibility areas: Special Events, Annual Fund, Donor Stewardship, In-Kind Fundraising, United Way and CSD Board/ELC committee work related to fund development.
- Special Events:
- Support and attend all CSD fund development events.
- In collaboration with CSD staff and event consultants, support special event planning including (but not limited to) in-kind donation acquisition/appeals, day-of logistics and event execution, event related marketing and collateral, guest communication, event related budget tracking and other event-related duties as directed by the Director of Development.
- Assist with event sponsorship in areas such as (but not limited to) developing sponsorship benefit packages, setting and achieving event sponsorship financial goals, coordinating sponsorship appeals and tracking sponsorship recognition.
- Annual Fund:
- Manage the CSD annual fund program, including design of appeal letters, donor segmentation, appeal distribution, and campaign tracking.
- Manage engagement of CSD volunteer solicitors in the annual fund process.
- Manage stewardship of annual fund donors, including giving circle recognition.
- Maintain accurate records for any honorarium or memorial campaigns, as well as managing timely communication with those involved in the campaign.
- Donor Stewardship:
- Under the direction of the Director of Development, manage ongoing donor stewardship efforts to connect with and thank our donors, including the design, execution and tracking of these efforts.
- Participate in donor stewardship meetings and events as assigned.
- Manage acquisition, tracking, and use of CSD patient stories for donor stewardship and fund development needs including monitoring program data to tell and enhance CSD donor stewardship and storytelling.
- In-Kind Fundraising:
- Oversee all CSD in-kind fundraising solicitations, including event needs and the CSD Amazon Wish List.
- United Way:
- Support our partnership with the United Way by coordinating our annual internal campaign for staff and board, as well as serving as a CSD speaker for the United Way campaign as requested.
- Board & Advisory Council: attend Development Committee and Executive Leadership Council meetings and execute support tasks for Committee efforts as assigned.
- Special Events:
An individual in this position must be able to successfully perform the essential duties and responsibilities listed above. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions for the position.
- Completion of a Bachelor’s degree in nonprofit fundraising or management, strategic communications, marketing or similar related field.
- 3 or more years of experience in nonprofit fund development.
- 2 or more years of experience in special event planning and management.
- Ability to work or use Microsoft Office Suite and Google Suite for email, calendar, file creation, sharing and storage.
- Ability to work or use CRM systems, design systems, and donor contact management systems.
- Prior experience in related, community-based or nonprofit fundraising and development.
- Proficient in Google Office Suite, DonorPerfect or comparable CRM system, Adobe, and Constant Contact is preferred.
Other Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to understand, demonstrate and support the mission, vision and core values of Community Smiles Dental.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills.
- Ability to work with diverse individuals.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and instruction.
- Ability to contribute to the priorities and needs of the team through effective prioritization and multitasking throughout the day.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality in regards to patient sensitive and protected information.
- Ability to follow safety protocols in an office and clinical setting.
- Ability to meet the work hours and schedules of the position.
Physical and Mental Demands
- Ability to work wearing a mask for extended periods of the work day when in close proximity to others.
- Ability to work with a computer and frequently look at computer monitors throughout the day.
- Ability to sit and/or stand for long periods throughout the clinic day.
- Ability to occasionally lift and/or slide 10-20lbs at a time.
- Ability to work in an environment with frequent moderate to high noise levels.
- Ability to work in close proximity with other team members and patients.
- Ability to effectively respond to varying situations using logical reasoning and decision making throughout the clinic day.
- Ability to perform repetitive hand and wrist motions to accomplish small motor skills.
The mental and physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of this position.
To apply, complete application and email cover letter and resume to
CSD reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the business need arises.