Communications and Public Relations Manager
CLIENT ASSOCIATION: American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology (AAAAI)
POSITION(S) REPORTS TO: Director of Communications & Membership
POSITION(S) THAT REPORT TO YOU: N/A
EXEMPT/NON-EXEMPT EMPLOYEE STATUS: Exempt
The Communications & Public Relations Manager is responsible for implementation of the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology (AAAAI) Communications Strategy including the development of key messaging and high-quality content that engages members and builds brand recognition in alignment with the AAAAI Strategic Plan. The Communications & Public Relations Manager is responsible for the development and execution of a proactive media relations and public relations plan that positions the AAAAI as the go-to thought leaders in the Allergy/Immunology specialty.
POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES: (Minimum 37.5 hrs/wk)
- Under the leadership of the Director of Communications, implement the AAAAI Communications Strategy and annual communications plan, including the development of key messaging that supports the mission and value proposition of the AAAAI.
- Manage implementation of corporate communications standards, communications procedures, policies and regulations for the AAAAI.
- Serve as primary copy editor for all AAAAI publications, member communications and website content ensuring consistent messaging, tone and editorial, graphic and branding standards.
- Under the leadership of the Director of Communications, and in collaboration with AAAAI teams, manage all Annual Meeting communications including website, print and e-communications.
- Manage content development, production and delivery of Practice Matters! and Practice Scoops e-newsletters.
- Assist with writing/editing, production and distribution of email marketing and member communications.
- Support the Online Communications Manager and Website Medical Editor in creation/editing of editorial and graphic content of the AAAAI website.
- Support the Online Communications Manager and Social Media Medical Editor in creation/editing of social media content and editorial calendars to ensure integration and alignment with all member communications and campaigns.
- Working with the Membership Manager and AAAAI teams, oversee and manage the development of all member and patient resources, including print and digital collateral, from concept through distribution.
- In collaboration with the Membership Manager and the Publications Manager, identify and produce member success stories for use across all platforms that illustrate the value proposition of a AAAAI membership.
- In collaboration with the Membership Manager, develop, produce and distribute membership communications including but not limited to, New Member Communications and toolkit, development and execution of membership recruitment and retention messaging and annual campaigns.
- Under the leadership of the Director of Communications, develop and implement a public relations strategy for the AAAAI, including the development of a proactive media relations strategy and a thought leadership strategy that positions AAAAI members as go-to experts in the A/I specialty.
- Develop and implement media relations strategies and tactics that align with the AAAAI Strategic Plan and Communications Strategy. Manage development of appropriate campaigns, creation of press releases and press kits, media spokespeople training, pitching stories. Build and maintain relationships with members of the media and serve as first point of contact with the media.
- Manage media records and reports through Cision, develop targeted contact lists and recommend strategies to enhance PR opportunities.
- Under the leadership of the Director of Communications and in collaboration with the Publications & Member Communications Manager, manage onsite Annual Meeting Press Room activities including press releases, media outreach and leading press conferences.
- Manage jointly sponsored public relations efforts such as newspaper supplements and other relationships based on shared public education and outreach goals.
- Work in collaboration with The Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology and The Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology: In Practice in cross-promotional efforts.
- Serve as liaison to various assigned committees within the AAAAI, coordinating activities and providing support as needed to achieve objectives.
- Other duties as assigned.
AMOUNT OF TRAVEL REQUIRED:
Possibly 2-3 weeks per year; some evening and weekend work may be required.
5-7 years of communications experience including print and electronic publications, web, public relations, and media relations. Outstanding writing, proofreading and editing; strong interpersonal, communication, organizational skills and computer proficiency. Prior experience in association management, non-profits or healthcare communications a plus. Supervisory experience a bonus. Bachelor’s degree required.
Occasional lifting of 20-30 pounds of boxed publications.
*This position is located in downtown Milwaukee, WI and a minimum of two days onsite in the office are a requirement of the role.
*EDI requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless a medical or religious exemption applies and is approved. Being fully vaccinated means that an individual is at least two weeks past their final dose of an authorized CDC COVID-19 vaccine primary series regimen. As a condition of employment, newly hired employees will be required to provide proof of their COVID-19 vaccination.