FoodRight, Inc. is a Milwaukee-based non-profit that empowers youth and families to choose foods that sustain life-long health through gardening, food system and culinary nutrition education. We partner with schools and organizations throughout Milwaukee to teach school-aged youth, parents, teachers and volunteers to grow, cook and appreciate healthy plant-based foods.
We are seeking to hire a dynamic and enterprising full-time School Health Coordinator to join our fun and dedicated team of public health dietitians and educators to develop initiatives that promote better health for the entire school community through policy, systems and environment changes as well as support the implementation of our innovative classroom-based culinary and garden-based nutrition education programs.
- Acts as a lead instructor for FoodRight’s various culinary and garden-based nutrition education programs overseeing the implementation of the entire lesson including collaborating with teachers and managing classroom volunteers.
- Conduct annual nutrition needs assessments, focusing on the policies, systems and the environment (PSE) that impact the health of the entire school community.
- Analyze, interpret, and report needs assessment findings and PSE recommendations to stakeholders through oral presentations and written reports.
- Develop and lead effective PSE initiatives in schools using evidence from the needs assessment and research on best practices.
- In collaboration with FoodRight’s nutrition education team and school partners, develop and implement school-based initiatives that support our mission and direct nutrition education programming to promote healthier school environments.
- Build strong relationships with school and community stakeholders to facilitate the success of PSE health initiatives.
- Serve on or work to create school wellness teams at each partner school to ensure that stakeholders are invested in any school-based health initiative and that the initiatives are sustainable.
- Support the Program Manager in implementing classroom-based programming.
- Participate in the collecting, collating and reporting of program data for grants.
- Coordinate and participate in healthy school promotion events at partner sites e.g. school health fairs.
- Self-motivated individual with a relentless inner-drive to produce the best results in any task and be a part of something great.
- A people-person with an energetic can‐do attitude and a talent for creative problem-solving—comfortable with initiating and conducting in-person interviews and forging relationships with various stakeholders in schools and the community.
- A team player with strong interpersonal skills with an ability to connect with and organize people from diverse backgrounds.
- Excellent writing and oral communications skills.
- Experience in conducting needs assessments and developing evidence-based programming is required.
- Ability to work independently and take initiative in a fast-paced, ever-changing work environment while understanding the need to communicate with other staff.
- Dynamic instructor with a Passion for working with youth and inspiring healthy eating through the culinary arts. Experience teaching youth is preferred.
- Preference for applicants with experience working with socially, economically or ethnically diverse youth populations in an educational setting.
- Computer skills, including knowledge of Microsoft Office products.
- Must have own transportation.
- Bachelor’s degree in education, nutrition, public health or related fields required. Advanced degree preferred. Preference for applicants with 3 or more years’ of experience working in one of these fields.
- Must pass a National Criminal History check and be able to work directly with youth.
Benefits & Compensation: $45,000 – $50,000, annual salary commensurate with education and experience. We offer generous health and retirement benefits as well as paid time off.
To apply, send your resume, a cover letter, three references and a writing sample to email@example.com subject line: “FoodRight—School Health Coordinator.” Deadline to apply is February 29, 2024 or until position is filled.