As the largest food center network in Milwaukee, Friedens is a stabilizing force in our neighborhoods. Through our programs we strive to leverage food to build relationships and address the holistic needs of community members. We envision a more equitable world where people have enough resources to thrive.
Over time we’ve transformed our food pantries into community centers that use food as a connection point to build relationships and strengthen neighborhoods. Our pantries shifted to a shopping model where community members select the groceries they need and enjoy with the support of volunteers. We now provide a vast array of equity-centered programs including: home delivered groceries, food & nutrition education, cooking demonstrations, community gardening, hydroponic greenhouses, and community dinners.
The Food Center Manager reports to and works closely with the Operations and Programs Manager and is responsible for the oversight of two food centers. The Food Center Manager is adept at building relationships and community, working closely with and embracing the broad diversity of center guests and volunteers to create positive experiences, and addressing the emerging needs of visitors, inventory, and facilities. Our community is multicultural and multilingual, therefore candidates with Spanish proficiency are highly encouraged to apply.
- Communicate organization mission and values to clients, volunteers, partners and donors
- Create a guest experience for pantry visitors that fosters our values of equity, health, and belonging
- Oversee intake processes to ensure shopper information is collected and recorded accurately
- Effectively engage volunteers as team members through orientation, assigning tasks, and providing ongoing support, encouragement, and supervision
- Collaborate with staff to recruit, supervise, and train volunteers to pick up, deliver, and stock our food
Food Center Oversight
- Assist with the clean, safe, and efficient operation of the Food Centers
- Develop, document, and optimize food center systems and operations at all four sites
- Serve as primary contact with building maintenance staff and oversee facility and equipment maintenance
- Serve as first-response for facility needs and keep pantry keys organized
- Optimize processes and storage at each Food Center
- Ensure compliance with all relevant federal, state, and local laws/regulations
- Implements and ensures adherence to food pantry policies and procedures
- Submit reports to Friedens staff and partners
- Submit food orders within a certain budget amount
- Oversee receiving, stocking, and record-keeping for in-kind food donations and items and ensure proper quality
- Retrieve food from suppliers, stores, and other donor sites
- Collaborate with staff in maintaining Food Recovery program
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Affinity with the overall mission and values of Friedens Food Pantries
- 1-2 years of relevant experience in food systems, program development or oversight, nonprofit management, or related field
- Ability to work Saturday mornings
- Spanish-language proficiency preferred
- Prior experience managing successful teams preferred
- Valid Wisconsin driver’s license and good driving record
- High School Diploma or GED
- Commitment to helping clients meet their nutritional needs
- Excellent communication skills- listening, speaking, and writing
- Ability to embrace diversity, relating comfortably with individuals from diverse racial, cultural, social, educational, and economic backgrounds who work at our pantries and access our services
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality relating to client information and program details
- Skilled in use of Microsoft Office, G-suite, and email.
- Use of personal phone or Google voice number.
- Willingness to learn, adapt, and grow
- Work Location: open office workspace with active team atmosphere.
- Physical Requirements: lifting up to 50 pounds, moving boxes or packages of food, loading/unloading a van, pushing a dolly, climbing stairs.
- Equipment Used: computer, printer/copier, tablets, electric pallet jack.
- Full Time salaried position: $42-45k
- Benefits include individual health, dental, and vision insurance and pro-rated PTO after 90 days
- Competitive PTO: 5 hours per pay period in the first year, 6 hours per pay period in second year
- 12 paid holidays: New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King Day, Memorial Day, Juneteenth, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year’s Eve, Two Flexible Holidays
- 3 months probationary period
To apply for this position, please send your resume or CV with a cover letter to: jobs@FriedensPantry.org