Volunteer and Outreach Coordinator – AmeriCorps with FRIEDENS FOOD PANTRIES
Mission and Purpose
Friedens is a network of food pantries in Milwaukee nourishing the body, mind, and soul. We believe that a dependable supply of food is a means of bringing hope and dignity to our community. As the largest food pantry network in Milwaukee, Friedens Food Pantries is a stabilizing force in our neighborhoods. Since 1978, we have used a community-centered approach, accepting the responsibility of honoring individual choice by providing a variety of fresh and nutritious food options and connecting our community members to other support services. Friedens addresses the holistic food needs in Milwaukee neighborhoods with a high population of low-income households that commonly suffer from food insecurity. We partner closely with StreetLife Communities, which is an organization dedicated to providing outreach and support to individuals experiencing homelessness.
At Friedens, volunteers are the lifeblood of the pantry – we couldn’t serve our community without them. The Volunteer and Outreach Coordinator will report to, and work closely with our Volunteer Manager, allowing an individual the opportunity to grow in experience, knowledge, and job skills while coordinating Friedens’ crucial volunteer workforce and engaging directly with pantry shoppers.
The ideal candidate is adept at building and maintaining trust-based relationships, engaging stakeholders and applying an equity lens towards transforming lives and communities. As such, we strongly encourage applications from candidates who foster and promote the values of diversity and inclusion.
Work Type: Full Time (100%), Hybrid Virtual/In-Person
Term: September 2022-August 2023
- One-Year Paid Internship Program through AmeriCorps Wisconsin which reports to the Volunteer Manager of Friedens Food Pantries
- Upon successful completion of service year, the individual is eligible for a $6,495 educational award that can be utilized to go back to school, pay off qualified student loans, and/or several other specified uses
- Make a lasting positive impact by supporting community health work
- Receive ongoing professional skills training throughout the year to build your resume
- Earn a bi-weekly living stipend of $825
- No-cost health, vision, and dental insurance
- Low- to no-cost child care assistance
- Ten paid holidays are observed for all staff: New Year’s Day, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, Memorial Day, Juneteenth, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year’s Eve
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Help realize our mission of building communities of peace, hope, and dignity within our community
- Assist with the clean, safe, and efficient day-to-day operation of the Food Pantry network, including some Saturday mornings
- Assist Volunteer Manager as needed, which includes: Recruiting and building relationships with volunteer streams, providing volunteer orientation (daily) and ongoing training, supervising volunteers, managing volunteer sign-ups, creating volunteer handbooks and materials, entering and validating volunteer hours.
- Assist with Site Management of our network of food pantries, as needed, including:a. Oversee intake procedures and assure that the clients’ information is recorded into our client database in a timely manner
b. Oversee data entry and filing including client intake and volunteer information
- Stock shelves and prepare food pantry for service as needed
- Implement food pantry policies and procedures as directed
- Assist with pantries day to day operations as needed
- Assist Executive Director and Operations Manager with other duties as requested
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Affinity with the overall mission of Friedens Food Pantries
- Valid Wisconsin driver’s license and good driving record
- High School Diploma or GED
- Commitment to helping clients meet their nutritional needs
- Excellent communication skills-listening, speaking, and writing
- Ability to relate comfortably with people who work at our pantries and use our services
- Skilled in use of Microsoft Office applications, email, and Google Suite
- Ability to update website and utilize social media preferred
- Willingness to learn, adapt, and grow
- Work Location: open office workspace with active team atmosphere.
- Physical Requirements: lifting 50 pounds or less, moving boxes or packages of food, loading/unloading a van, pushing a dolly, climbing stairs
- Equipment Used: computer, printer/copier, tablets, electric and manual pallet jacks.
To apply for this position, please send your resume or CV with a cover letter to: jobs@FriedensPantry.org