Job Title: Food Service Shelter Staff
Reports To: President and CEO
FLSA Status: Part-time hourly (Hours vary; mainly weekdays from 3pm-7pm maxing out at 20 hours per week)
Who We Are:
Since first opening our doors to offer emergency shelter in 1982, Guest House of Milwaukee has grown to provide a full continuum of onsite and community-based programs to address the needs of individuals and families experiencing homelessness – including shelter, housing, case management and clinical services. Rooted in our commitment to serving Milwaukee County’s most at-risk and marginalized populations with compassion and dignity, Guest House has been a leader in ending the cycle of homelessness and housing insecurity in our clients’ lives for more than 40 years – assisting those with even the most severe challenges to regaining and maintaining independent living.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- 11 paid holidays + your birthday paid!
- 3 weeks of vacation!
- 4 weeks of vacation after 1 year
- Paid mental health days
- Paid sick time
- FREE disability insurance
- FREE life insurance
- Health, Dental & Vision Insurance
- We are an eligible employer for public student loan forgiveness
- Many advancement opportunities!
- And more!
A person in this position will actively participate in shelter kitchen activities and operations that assist guests. A person in this position acts as point person between the shelter guests, volunteers, and the Development and Residential Services departments to effectively run the meal service program.
This position requires a high level of communication, customer service, and problem-solving skills, while requiring minimal supervision. While the hours for this role can vary, the general hours are weekdays from 3pm-7pm maxing out at 20 hours per week.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
VOLUNTEER ENGAGEMENT & MEAL SERVICE
- Greet volunteers/donors as they arrive, answer any questions about the meal preparation or serving protocols, and ensure proper food and safety guidelines are followed
- Assist volunteers in preparing and serving the meal as needed
- Serve donated meals when volunteers are not serving themselves and no other servers are scheduled
- When there is not a donated meal on the schedule: (a) use leftovers to prepare a meal or (b) create an entirely new meal using available ingredients; serve the meal
- Serve all clients and volunteers in a friendly and efficient manner
- Model respectful conduct and interactions with guests, volunteers, visitors, and colleagues
- Maintain clean and organized work area and equipment
- At the end of each dinner service: wash dishes, clean the kitchen and dining area, and maintain cleanliness and organization in the kitchen and in the walk-in coolers
- Store excess or leftover meals properly and identify stored meals by using the established storage process.
- Periodically restock kitchen with shelf-stable donations
- Regularly clean out refrigerator in kitchen and walk-in coolers, removing old or expired items and ensure their proper disposal
FOOD SAFETY & SANITATION
- Monitor all food donations, including sandwiches for community distribution, and ensure proper food and safety guidelines for storing and usage
- Adhere to sanitation and health standards by following established policies; log temperatures, dates
- Assist with labeling and packaging food donations
- Follow all agency and mandated guidelines related to security, safety, confidentiality, and all departmental policies and procedures
- Communicate residence rules to clients and enforce rules as necessary
- Other duties as assigned by President and CEO
Experience and Skills:
- Customer service skills with both clients and volunteers
- Ability to communicate and document clearly and professionally: both verbally and in writing
- Professional workplace appearance and conduct
- Some experience in commercial kitchen management and food preparation
- Flexible work schedule and dependability
- Effective time management
Training and Education:
- High school diploma or GED required
- Experience with food service preferred
- Must be able to function well under minimal supervision
- High level of organization, communication, and customer service skills
The Guest House of Milwaukee is an equal opportunity employer and service provider. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.