The general function of the Donor Database Manager is to manage and oversee Hunger Task Force’s Constituent Relationship Management System (Raiser’s Edge) and all associated stewardship strategies including mailings and e-communication strategies. This position also supports agency events, donor stewardship efforts and key Development activities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- With high accuracy and timeliness, manage, oversee and execute the day-to-day activities of the Hunger Task Force donor database including constituent records, gift processing, donor acknowledgements, honor/memorials, queries and reports, importing/exporting, maintenance, troubleshooting and all related processes and procedures.
- Develop and maintain comprehensive database management best practices and procedures.
- Utilize third-party software and plug-ins to enhance the existing donor database, maintain current industry standards, and best practices.
- Prepare strategic and detailed donor and constituent reports including giving history, event totals, and categorical reports using dashboards, queries, reports, and exports for review by Board Committees and key department Directors.
- Reconcile donor database with financial statements in collaboration with the Controller.
- Ensure all communications (hard-copy and electronic) associated with donations are filed and recorded properly for audit purposes.
- Develop comprehensive annual schedule of mailings, e-solicitations, e-blasts and other development database communications and inform strategy for target audience, criteria, and parameters.
- Establish printing timelines for mailings and manage deliverables with external print house.
- Work collaboratively within the Development Department to ensure cohesive implementation of donor database strategies with Moves Management strategies, communication and marketing strategies, events, grant proposals and other key development functions.
- Provide training and support to development and appropriate agency staff on key database processes and procedures to ensure workflow efficiencies and back-up coverage during times of high gift volume.
- Maintain discretion and confidentiality regarding employee, donor and other personal private information.
- Provide excellent donor stewardship and function as lead for all donor inquiries related to gifts, credit card donations and other donor database requests.
- Support key events, fundraising efforts, development activities and other duties as assigned.
Directly supervises Gift Processing Specialist. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, effectively recommending hiring and promotions, employees training; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Diversity – Demonstrates knowledge of EEO policy; Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; Educates others on the value of diversity; Promotes a harassment free environment; Builds a diverse workforce.
Ethics – Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs workflows and procedures.
Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
Project Management – Develops project plans; Coordinates projects; Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and budget; Manages project team activities.
Technical Skills – Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
Interpersonal Skills – Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things.
Oral Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
Written Communication – Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
Strategic Thinking – Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; Understands organization’s strengths & weaknesses; Analyzes market and competition; Identifies external threats and opportunities; Adapts strategy to changing conditions.
Change Management – Develops workable implementation plans; Communicates changes effectively; Builds commitment and overcomes resistance; Prepares and supports those affected by change; Monitors transition and evaluates results.
Delegation – Delegates work assignments; Matches the responsibility to the person; Gives authority to work independently; Sets expectations and monitors delegated activities; Provides recognition for results.
Leadership – Exhibits confidence in self and others; Inspires and motivates others to perform well; effectively influences actions and opinions of others; Accepts feedback from others; Gives appropriate recognition to others
Visionary Leadership – Displays passion and optimism; Inspires respect and trust; Mobilizes others to fulfill the vision; Provides vision and inspiration to peers and subordinates.
Managing People – Includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; Takes responsibility for subordinates’ activities; Makes self-available to staff; Provides regular performance feedback; Develops subordinates’ skills and encourages growth; Solicits and applies customer feedback (internal and external); Fosters quality focus in others; Improves processes, products and services.; Continually works to improve supervisory skills.
Quality Management – Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
Professionalism – Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals. Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
Initiative – Volunteers readily; Undertakes self-development activities; Seeks increased responsibilities; Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; Asks for and offers help when needed.
Innovation – Displays original thinking and creativity; Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improving work; Develops innovative approaches and ideas; Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others’ attention.
Three or more years of CRM or database management required. Experience with Raiser’s Edge preferred.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have strong proficiency with CRMs (Raiser’s Edge currently utilized), Import-O-Matic, credit card processing platforms, accounts receivable/payable software, Office 365, E-Communication software, Contact Management systems, project management software, PowerBI, Spreadsheet software and Word Processing software.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s degree from four-year College or university; plus 3 or more years’ experience in CRM systems management.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Valid driver’s license.
Other Skills, Abilities and Qualifications
- Strong leadership and managerial skills
- Highly organized with ability to manage multiple assignments in a fast-paced, collaborative and deadline-driven environment
- Ability to think strategically and prepare easy-to-understand report from complex data
- Strong analytical, organization and planning skills
- Highly effective written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively and adaptively within a team setting
- Maintain consistent and high-quality performance of work during high volumes of gift activity
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and color vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, moving mechanical parts and outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) prohibits discrimination against its customers, employees, and applicants for employment on the bases of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal, and where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or all or part of an individual’s income is derived from any public assistance program, or protected genetic information in employment or in any program or activity conducted or funded by the Department. (Not all prohibited bases will apply to all programs and/or employment activities.)