The Jail Screening Specialist is a professional position that assesses the needs of individuals who are arrested and booked into the Rock County Jail and pending a bail setting decision. Using an actuarial risk assessment, the Jail Screening Specialist determines an individual’s risk for pretrial misconduct (defined as risk to miss court or be rearrested while out on bail) and prepares a detailed report used by criminal justice stakeholders to make bail decisions. The Jail Screening Specialist may also be required to conduct a more in-depth assessment to identify individuals who may be eligible for treatment and diversion programming in Rock County. This position will also have shared responsibility in requesting the release of individuals from custody into the Pretrial Supervision program. Many of the individuals served experience mental health and/or substance use disorders. As such, this role requires an individual who is both empathetic and compassionate.
Duties of the Jail Screening Specialist include completing pretrial risk assessments, actuarial risk assessments, and potentially completing face-to-face interviews for defendants booked into the Rock County Jail; conducting accurate criminal history and records checks; Provide written reports for electronic submission to the court that include recommendations for bail and release conditions; entering and maintaining case information in the electronic database; processing and requesting release for individuals in custody to JusticePoint’s Pretrial Supervision program; other duties as assigned.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (including Outlook, Word, and Excel)
- Ability to communicate professionally & accurately, both orally and written
- Organized, attentive to detail, ability to multi-task, work independently
- Fluency in Spanish, spoken and written preferred
- Previous experience working with criminal justice-involved clients preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice, Social Work, Psychology, or related Human Services field
- Valid driver’s license and automobile with insurance
- Pass a pre-employment background check conducted by the Rock County Sheriff’s Department
- Ascribe to & champion The Difference Principles