Title: Guest Services Specialist
Reports To: Manager of Guest Services
Job Status: 40 hours a week (M-F 8-5 pm)
Compensation: Kathy’s House offers: a competitive salary based ($40,000-$47,000) based on experience, health care benefits, an EAP program, a collaborative, team-based work environment, and an opportunity to participate in our Simple IRA plan (up to 3% match)
Mission & Vision
Kathy’s House (KH) is a hospital guest house committed to providing affordable lodging and caring support in “a home away from home” environment for families who need to travel to the Milwaukee area for medical care. We seek to become a replicable national model in the field of Hospital Guest Housing by providing a state-of-the-art facility and delivering guest services based on best practices to improve patient care and the healthcare delivery system.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Kathy’s House values and celebrates the wealth of diversity and unique backgrounds of our guests, staff, volunteers, and the community members we serve. We strive to create a sense of belonging for all, ensuring that everyone feels valued, welcomed and respected. Please go to kathys-house.org/about/commitment to learn more about our commitment.
We are looking for you to bring your caring disposition, organizational skills, and multi-tasking prowess to our small, yet mighty team to help us provide an exceptional guest experience. Kathy’s House is “home” to 45-55 guests everyday – both patients and their caregivers – who are facing serious health issues including cancer, cardio-vascular disease, and organ transplant.
As a key team member, your responsibilities will include the following:
- Provide and ensure a homelike, emotionally supportive, inclusive, and safe environment for the guests throughout their stay.
- Help to manage and support the welcome desk volunteers.
- Respond to guests’ needs, check guests in and out, make guest reservations, orient guests to the House and guest policy and procedures.
- Work with the Manager of Guest Services and Housekeeping staff to manage guest room availability and readiness.
- Enter and maintain accurate records in the guest reservation computer databases. Use the Slack instant messaging application for internal communications with all staff.
- In coordination with the Kathy’s House housekeeper and our contracted housekeepers, maintain a high standard of cleanliness to mitigate the risk of infection for guests.
- Act in a proactive manner to identify special family situations, and inform the Manager of Guest Services, Operations Director and/or President & CEO of any concerns. Work with other team members to proactively address guest issues.
- Occasional transport of guests to area hospitals in agency owned minivan.
Operations and Administration:
- Monitor and replenish house supplies.
- Identify facility maintenance needs to Director of Operations and/or service provider as needed.
- Attend and help with agency events as needed.
Qualifications and Position Requirements
- Knowledge and use of common office computer operating systems and software, including Microsoft Office
- Awareness of the need for patient/guest confidentiality related to health privacy laws.
- Business and professional standards of dress and
- Excellent social and customer service skills, and proven ability to maintain successful working relationships with internal staff, leadership, donors, and Ability to work in a collaborative, team environment.
- Ability to be a good listener, displaying a caring, empathetic, open-minded attitude for our diverse clientele.
- Ability to handle stressful situations in a professional and respectful manner.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment where multiple situations may arise at once that need your attention.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team and follow through with minimum direction or oversight.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills, including the ability to organize and maintain files, records, and documentation
- Skilled to recognize and safeguard confidential
- Ability to present a professional image as a representative of Kathy’s
Experience and Education:
Preferred: Some college education or equivalent experience, ideally in Business Management, Hospitality, Social Work, Health, Communications, or relevant field.
Preferred: Three years prior experience in Hospitality or Customer Service.
Preferred: CPR/First-Aid Certification
Desired: Fluency in speaking Spanish
Other qualifications (required)
- A valid WI driver’s license and ability to travel locally and regionally as needed
- Physical demands for this position include sitting, standing, bending, walking, stairs, lifting, and/or moving up to 40 lbs.
Note: These requirements represent the minimum levels to perform the job on a satisfactory basis. Employees must have the ability to satisfactorily perform the essential functions of the job.
We recognize that our people are our strength and welcome their diverse talent, background and experiences that they bring to our workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute, including race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital or veteran status, pregnancy or disability, or any other basis protected under applicable law. In accordance with applicable law, we make reasonable accommodations for applicants’ and employees’ religious practices and beliefs, as well as any mental health or physical disability needs.
Commitment to Safety
At Kathy’s House the health and safety of our guests, staff and volunteers is paramount. We currently require that all staff and volunteers be fully vaccinated against Covid-19. All new hires must be vaccinated before starting employment. Appropriate religious and medical accommodations will be made and can be discussed in the pre-hire process.