Are you thinking about law school or a career in counseling or public health? Do you need a field placement? AmeriCorps gives you the opportunity to get school credit along with a stipend and scholarship. We are looking for an individual who is passionate about helping youth find the resources they need to heal and thrive.
Organization Description: Kids Matter Inc. was founded by foster and kinship families, social workers and others who saw gaps in services for abused and neglected children and the families who take them in to help them heal. Kids Matter exists to open doors of promise and opportunity for foster and kinship children and their caregivers, and all children impacted by crime. We help children heal and thrive. We do this by putting the needs of children first, building collaborative child-centered systems of support, and holding accountable those who fail to act in the best interests of these children. We also advocate for systemic improvements in child services. We build many community partnerships, and our child-centered work has been recognized by agencies as diverse as the WI Department of Corrections to the Attorney General’s office, from the Public Defender’s office to the District Attorney’s office. Our programs, youth, volunteers and staff have received numerous statewide awards.
Position Description: This position will work primarily with the Fostering Healing Program, which helps children who are being raised by relatives or foster families due to abuse and neglect, parental addiction, losing a loved one to homicide, witnessing domestic violence, or experiencing other traumas. Fostering Healing provides crisis counseling, free therapy and legal services and helps caregivers navigate complex systems and access supportive services so the children they love can heal and thrive. This position will help provide children with early access to upstream mental health support and help set up a new support group for youth. This position supports mental health, healthy growth and development, and injury and violence prevention in children and youth across the state of Wisconsin.
Fostering Healing Team: 65%
- Assist with conducting initial client intakes over the phone.
- Help develop and facilitate a new youth support group, bringing a new evidence-based curriculum to Wisconsin.
- Develop resources for the grandfamilies support group, Facebook group and website based resources.
- Link families with beneficial resources and community support.
- Foster and kinship youth face high rates of mobility. This position may assist with special projects which help youth maintain positive connections and mental health resources if/when they move. The project may involve use of ArcGIS software (previous experience is not necessary but applicant must be willing to learn mapping software).
- Participate in individual supervision meetings with supervisor, team meetings, and AmeriCorps member meetings/team-building activities.
- Participate in trainings provided by Host Site. Depending on Member interest, we can send Member to local, state, and national conferences.
Other Duties Related to Service Activity: 5%
- Depending on Member skills and interest, Kids Matter Inc. has a variety of projects including but not limited to developing bilingual brochures and other informational materials, interviewing community members, graphic design, etc.
- Continue developing and implementing the donations & partnership model developed by prior service year volunteers.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience working with diverse populations and backgrounds.
- Maintain a professional, confidential work environment.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks in an efficient manner.
- Strong written and verbal communication.
- Enthusiasm for helping others and willingness to learn.
- Must be at least 17 years of age by September 12, 2022.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident.
- Must pass a background check.
- Must possess a high school diploma or GED. Some college or college degree preferred.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation and auto insurance.
- Able to travel between sites and to offsite events.
- Must be willing to complete the full term of service (at least 1700 hours).
- Eligible to receive a basic health, dental and vision insurance plan (premium paid by AmeriCorps program), which covers only the member; it is not available to other family members.
- Receive $21,000 (before taxes) over the course of service with payment every two weeks. Final payroll is determined by Member’s tax status.
- Childcare assistance (household income must qualify)
- $6,495 education award upon successful completion of term of service. Members have seven years to use their education awards.
- Forbearance on qualified student loans and interest accrual payments while serving.
- No-cost health, vision and dental insurance
If position is accepted, members must attend AmeriCorps Member orientation September 12-16, 2022, in Rosholt, WI and midterm training in January 2023 and cannot leave at any time during the training sessions. Term of service at Kids Matter will be September 19, 2022 through August 2023, exact end date negotiable.
Applicants should submit cover letter and resume in one document to email@example.com with “Community Outreach and Trauma Specialist (AmeriCorps)” in the subject line. Applications accepted and reviewed on rolling basis until July 29, 2022.