The Program Support Specialist (PSS) assists in all areas of programming within LSW with a focus on student and tutor activities in Adult Education (AE) and Credentialing programs, which includes High School Equivalency Diploma (HSED) and General Educational Development (GED) certifications. The PSS provides support and guidance for volunteer tutors; student and tutor matching; proctors student assessments; ensures accuracy of records; case management; facilitates learning labs; and provides a safe, clean, and welcoming environment for staff, learners, and visitors. The PSS contributes to program and curriculum development, the implementation of Personal Education Plans, and the promotion of wraparound services for adult students. The PSS reports directly to the Silver Spring Site Coordinator and is primarily located at the Silver Spring Neighborhood Center location, although travel between sites in the Milwaukee area may be required. This position requires flexible scheduling with some evening availability. Occasional collaborative and/or recruitment opportunities may arise on Saturdays.
- Facilitate student enrollment, which includes conducting enrollment orientations and scheduling and proctoring assessments using the TABE 11/12 and TABE CLAS-E national testing systems.
- Assist with volunteer tutor management. This includes, but is not limited to, pairing tutors and learners, supervising tutoring sessions, bridging communication between tutors and learners, providing instructional materials and advice as requested, and monitoring progress of tutor/learner partnerships to ensure goals are met.
- Assist with Credentialing programs, which includes creating MyGED accounts, scheduling GED exams, reviewing HSED applications, scheduling HSED enrollment, and general student follow up.
- Assist with the following: maintenance of learner files and paperwork, tracking daily learner attendance, entering and regularly updating learner information in an electronic database, scheduling and communicating with learners and volunteer tutors, setting appointments, and answering phone calls.
- Participate in department and all-staff meetings, an annual in-service, community partner events meetings, and other organization-wide events as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
Preferred Knowledge and Qualifications:
- High school credential; some college preferred
- Some program or volunteer management experience including supervision of others
- Previous experience in adult education and/or community-based client services
- Computer proficiency (word processing, data collection, spreadsheets, etc.)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; strong customer service skills
- Ability to work as a member of the program team in a fast-paced environment
- Experience working with disadvantaged populations
- Commitment to the mission and students of LSW
- Bilingual and/or skilled in a language other than English
- Instructional experience strongly preferred
Compensation: This is a full-time, 40 hr/wk position with a weekly schedule of Monday through Friday. Rate of pay is $18/hour. Benefits include generous paid time off (PTO), subsidized health insurance coverage, retirement plan, and paid professional development opportunities.
A complete application includes 1) a letter of interest, 2) a resume, and 3) a list of three professional references. Applications should be sent via email to Mikelle Bloechl and will be accepted until the position is filled. Contact Mikelle at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.