The Lussier Community Education Center (LCEC) is a grassroots community center with a 43-year history of strong programs, broad partnerships, and grassroots community organizing. Located on the grounds of Jefferson Middle School and Memorial High School, the LCEC has a mission of building community, creating opportunities, enriching education.
The LCEC collaborates with MSCR to run Youth Resource Center (YRC) as our comprehensive afterschool and summer camp program for youth in grades 6-8. All middle-school programming emphasizes positive youth development, racial/social justice, and trauma informed approaches in enrichment activities focused on academic success, health and fitness, arts and creativity, and community service. The Middle School After School & Summer Program Lead assists the Youth Programs Manager, Middle School Coordinator, and our AmeriCorps member to create, run, and evaluate middle-school programming for this diverse group of young people. The ideal candidate will be enthusiastic about working with young people, offering culturally relevant programming. This position reports to the Youth Programs Manager.
HOURS: 20-22 hrs/week (part time) in school year (generally 2pm-7pm) and 40 hrs/week (full time) in summer (8:30am-4:30pm)
COMPENSATION: $16.32/hr plus paid time off and life/disability insurance
- Plan, coordinate, and implement daily youth activities of the LCEC summer camp program with a strong emphasis on youth involvement in those processes.
- Participate in planning and implementing daily activities for Youth Resource Center (middle school) with a strong emphasis on youth involvement in these processes.
- Co-facilitate MENS (Men Encouraging Non-Violent Strength) afterschool club
- Orchestrate one-time and ongoing clubs, such as media club, cooking club, and artist in residence projects.
- Develop strong positive relationships with youth and their families.
- Be sensitive to issues students face, and identify needs and solutions for individual situations that arise.
- Build relationships with schools’ and other youth serving organizations’ staff to promote LCEC programs and build a network of resources for youth and program development.
- Participate in weekly team planning meetings, collect daily attendance information, and assist with reporting.
- Support logistics for LEAP 2 College program. Assist with classroom management, interface with college volunteers, support middle school student recruitment and retention efforts, and engage parents.
- Participate in the shared work of the LCEC, including community dinners, staff retreats/meetings, and other projects as they arise.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum of six months’ experience working with youth in a similar capacity.
- Knowledge of behavior management and conflict resolution and the ability to work productively with large or small groups of youth.
- Mature attitude, creativity, resourcefulness, and a positive role model for youth.
- Understanding of and appreciation for socio-economically, ethnically and culturally diverse populations.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
Download the application at LCECmadison.org or pick it up at the Lussier Community Education Center, 55 S Gammon Rd, Madison. Cover letter and resume sent without an application may prompt consideration, but a completed application will be required before hire. Submit completed application via email to jobs@LCECmadison.org or by mail.
Applications will be accepted until this position is filled.
LCEC is an EOE/AA employer.