The Food Pantry Assistant supports pantry operations, including stocking, checking clients in, and assisting clients through the choice-model pantry. The ideal candidate will love community, communicate with dignity, help maintain a clean and organized environment, and build strong relationships with clients and volunteers. This role is responsible for supporting daily pantry operations, maintaining a clean and organized space, assisting in training and creating a positive volunteer experience.
MCC believes strong neighborhoods have access to healthy food. MCC’s Food Pantry provides food to 1,000+ adults and children each month, and connects families to supports needed to become self-sufficient.
Reports to: Food Pantry Manager
Pay Rate: $15/hour
Benefits: Pre-tax flexible spending account, 403(b) defined contribution retirement plan with 3% match, generous paid time off package starting at 20 days per year for full-time employees (prorated for PT employees), and expansive employee assistance program
Duties and Responsibilities Include:
- Support daily food pantry functions including: client intake assessments, assisting participants through full-choice pantry, distribution of 3-5-day food supply, Commodity Supplemental Food Program (CSFP) stock boxes, infant needs, and other donated products to eligible participants.
- Serve a diverse community with dignity and equity.
- Stock and prepare food pantry for distribution hours.
- Maintain a clean, accessible, and organized pantry.
- Receive and record donations from Hunger Task Force, partnerships, independent donors, and food drives.
- Assist in continuing accurate records/databases for client information, food safety logs, and other food pantry data.
- Connects community members to additional health, wellness, and self-sufficiency opportunities.
- Maintain compliance with established pantry policies and procedures as enforced by Hunger Task Force, Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, and USDA.
- Assist in supervision and training of volunteers and other service workers including service learners, business partners, and individuals in need of community service hours to support food pantry operations.
- Attend Hunger Task Force and other Food Pantry meetings as necessary.
Qualifications Desired Include:
- Ability to greet community with a welcoming attitude and communicate with dignity.
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) language skills preferred but not required.
- Interest or experience in one or more of the following: food security, human/social services, community building, health and wellness, and/or customer service
- Ability to demonstrate basic computer literacy and operate client database accurately.
- Ability to lift up to 25 lbs. regularly; receive, sort, and distribute food and basic need supplies
- Sense of organization; ability to up keep safety policies and procedure while maintaining a cleanly, organized space
- Able to collaborate with diverse team of clients, staff, partners, and volunteers.
- Continuous improvement mindset, love of community, and an understanding of individual and community development.
Milwaukee Christian Center is a multi-service organization that works to build strong neighborhoods full of opportunity. We approach that work through four core areas: housing, youth development, older adults, and food security – serving over 7,500 people each year. What began with American Baptist roots providing outreach to immigrants on Milwaukee’s south side in 1921, MCC now serves youth, families, and older adults of all races, ethnicities, religions, and ages throughout the city of Milwaukee.
MCC’s Food Pantry is located at Milwaukee Christian Center’s main site, and is an active space for clients, volunteers and partners. This position is also expected to travel to partner sites throughout Milwaukee occasionally.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Milwaukee Christian Center does not discriminate against any employee, applicant for employment, or client because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. Milwaukee Christian Center is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested candidates should email a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Position open until filled.