The Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design (MIAD) seeks a Career Services Coordinator to join our student services team with an anticipated start date in January 2023. This position provides academic, interpersonal support, and engages students outside of the classroom. This position is the first point of contact for Career Services at MIAD. The Career Services Coordinator will work with individual students and graduates/alumni, employer contacts, community members and families; coordinate professional development related programming on campus; and organize large-scale events, in collaboration with others.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Advise and assist students and graduates with:
- Career exploration and professional options.
- Career preparation, including professional experience searches, resumes/profiles, cover letters and related correspondence, and interviewing / portfolio reviews.
- Pursuing professional experience opportunities, including opportunity research, applying for posted opportunities, contacting prospective businesses/organizations and networking.
- Assist businesses, organizations, or private residents inquiring about opportunities for students and graduates, including on-going employer relations.
- Assist in coordination of internship program, including student guidance in applying for internship opportunities and facilitating documentation for academic credit.
- Maintain information systems including business, internship, and career library database.
- Serve as Academic Advisor to First Year students.
- Collaborate with the Advising Office in developing and carrying out advising and professional preparation initiatives.
- Participate in and/or coordinates events, sessions and programming that include organizing employer/student interviews, professional guest speakers, career information and job search presentations, and professional association activities.
- Serve as communication hub and provide office support for Career Services.
- Collaborate with faculty and student services areas regarding programs and events.
- Hire, train, and supervise student employees for the Career Services Office.
- Post student positions and assist student employment supervisors as needed in collaboration and advisement from HR Generalist.
- Assist with Admissions events as requested.
- Assist with collecting and compiling student/graduate outcome information and research about businesses and organizations.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university is required.
- Experience working in higher education.
- Demonstrated ability to support diverse populations with a high degree of cultural competence, diplomacy and discretion.
- Demonstrated experience maintaining a high-level of integrity and discretion in handling confidential and sensitive information.
- Working knowledge of MS Office applications including Word, PowerPoint, database knowledge, email software, and web tools for searches and networking.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and appropriately escalate matters to the Executive Director of Advising and Career Services.
Application Process and Deadline:
Please click on “Learn How to Apply” below for application instructions.
The initial review of applicants will occur after December 7, 2022 and will continue until the position has been filled.
MIAD offers an attractive benefits package, including health, vision, and dental insurance. All final candidates extended an offer must successfully complete reference and background checks.
As an accredited, nonprofit college, MIAD provides a transformative Bachelor of Fine Arts education that prepares students of diverse backgrounds for fulfilling and financially rewarding careers. MIAD fosters innovative and entrepreneurial thinking that benefits our students and our corporate and nonprofit partners.
MIAD is entering the fifth year of our current strategic plan. View the plan.
MIAD is proud to serve students of all backgrounds and recognizes our opportunity to advance equity and inclusion. Under the direction of our inaugural Director of Equity and Inclusion and with input from community partners, MIAD developed a Three-year Equity and Inclusion Action Plan. View the plan.
MIAD enrolls 850+ students and employs 200+ faculty and staff. The college’s nationally ranked programs include Communication Design, Product (industrial) Design, Illustration and Animation, Interior Architecture and Design, New Studio Practice: Fine Arts and 18 academic minors. MIAD has been named a Top Design School by Graphic Design USA for five consecutive years.
MIAD brings robust career pathways and college-readiness experiences to high school youth and provides cultural experiences and programming to the Greater Milwaukee community. Companies that have hired MIAD interns and graduates include Delta Faucet, Generac, Harley-Davidson Motor Company, GE Healthcare, Google, Kohler Company, Kohl’s Corporation, Milwaukee Tool, NASA and Nike.
MIAD is central to the development of Milwaukee’s Historic Third Ward, which was named one of America’s Top 12 ArtPlaces. The Historic Third Ward is Milwaukee’s most desirable downtown neighborhood, with Lake Michigan as our backyard and walkable distances to dozens of restaurants, galleries, and boutiques. www.miad.edu
MIAD is committed to a teaching, learning, and working environment free from all forms of discrimination and harassment. The college prohibits students, employees, contractors, volunteers, and visitors from engaging in discrimination and harassment based on any individual’s age, race, creed, color, disability, marital status, sex, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, religion, arrest record, conviction record, military service, veteran status, use or nonuse of lawful products off MIAD premises during nonworking hours, and any other legally protected characteristic. This prohibition applies to all of MIAD’s educational programs and activities—including admissions—as well as all employment actions, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, promotion, demotion, compensation, and benefits.
We ignite curious minds through art, design, and service.
We will be a galvanized educational and creative community, addressing universal needs through our thought, design, and expression.
COURAGE, to seek our own path
INTEGRITY, to pursue our lives and work with meaning
KINDNESS, to thoughtfully engage with others
COMMUNITY, to positively contribute to the world around us
INNOVATION, to meet universal challenges in new ways
INCLUSION, to find strength in diversity
LAND AND PEOPLES ACKNOWLEDGMENT
The Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design (MIAD) occupies land on the banks of the Milwaukee River in what is presently known as Wisconsin. This land is the home of Ho-Chunk, Menominee, Potawatomi and Ojibwe peoples, and it is the historic and present-day home of peoples who were forced by colonizers to leave their ancestral lands and migrate to and through this state. Learn more here.
Qualified applicants should submit the following information in one (1) pdf document via email to:
- A letter of interest/cover letter
- A resume
- Contact information for three (3) professional references.