The Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design (MIAD) seeks candidates to join our team of 3D Lab Supervisors, reporting to the Director of the 3D Lab, with a goal start date late-September. This position is on-site, supports a vibrant community of makers, and is responsible for monitoring the daily use of the lab, providing training and instruction to students, and maintaining a safe environment.
Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Promote, nurture, and advance a welcoming, diverse, and inclusive educational environment.
- Support peer 3D Lab Supervisors in monitoring activity in the lab, correcting issues, and teaching the safe use of equipment.
- Collaboratively work with students, faculty, staff, and peers in the 3D Lab.
- Educate and enforce 3D Lab safety rules and procedures, share best practices, and supervise student equipment use. Immediately halt and correct any unsafe practices when observed.
- Instruct individuals on best practices and procedures for a wide range of material and tool-specific processes to all, from first-time and entry-level users to advanced practitioners.
- Provide one-on-one instruction in technical matters that supplement coursework for degree-seeking students across all disciplines of the college.
- Contribute to sustainability efforts – reuse, recycle, repurpose material and reduce waste where possible and appropriate.
- Maintain and repair hand tools, power tools, equipment, and machinery as needed.
- Contribute to overall shop cleanliness and organization.
- Cross-train on 3D modeling and CNC CAD/CAM processes.
- Assist in the organizing and maintaining sales, 3D Lab & course material inventories, equipment catalogs & check out systems, as well as MSDS database.
- Assist in the training and supervision of student employees.
- Assist with projects, research and other duties as assigned by the Director of the 3D Lab.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- A. or B.F.A in Art, Architecture, Design, or a related field is required. Advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum of three (3) years of successful experience in a comparable woodworking shop, or academic lab setting with knowledge of current shop safety practices required.
- Demonstrated ability to support diverse populations with a high degree of cultural competence.
- Must have the ability to effectively mentor and instruct. Academic setting preferred.
- Must have excellent woodworking skills and demonstrated expertise and comprehensive knowledge of shop processes and fabrication techniques for a variety of materials including wood, plastics, metal, and composite materials, etc.
- Must have basic knowledge of Microsoft Office and Google Suite. Working knowledge of Adobe CS Suite, parametric or direct 3D modeling, CAD/CAM software a plus, but not required.
- Strong organizational skills; ability to self-direct; an aptitude for creative problem solving; the ability to multi-task; and effective oral and written communication skills in interacting with staff, faculty, and students.
- Working knowledge of equipment repair and maintenance processes for manual and powered tools and machinery.
- Must be CPR and First Aid Certified (may obtain within the first three months of service.)
- Must have the ability to work a regular weekly schedule which may include evenings and/or weekends.
Application Process and Deadline:
- A letter of interest/cover letter
- A resume
- Ten (10) examples of work showing proficiency range of skill set and, working knowledge of material and processes for woodworking, sculpture, prototype modeling, or other 3D fabrication processes.
- Three (3) professional reference names and contact information.
Initial review of candidates will occur after October 9, 2021, and will continue until the position has been filled.
MIAD offers an attractive benefits package, including health, vision, and dental insurance. All final candidates extended an offer must successfully complete reference and background checks.