MPL AmeriCorps will help Milwaukee Public Library achieve their mission of helping people read, learn and connect, serving as an anchor institution that helps build healthy families and vibrant neighborhoods. We serve young people in Milwaukee by addressing disparities in academic opportunities, summer learning, and the digital divide.
MPL AmeriCorps Members are near-peer leaders, who meet young people where they are, spend time with them during the school day in classrooms, and at community library branches to provide engaging after school programming. Through developing positive relationships with youth, MPL AmeriCorps Members will help students navigate various MPL resources for academic success, teach critical social and emotional skills, and help Milwaukee students feel supported in the community. During summer, AmeriCorps Members will bring MPL’s Super Reader and Teen Summer Challenge directly to youth in community organizations throughout the city.
Qualifications and Qualities
- Be a high school graduate, GED recipient, working toward attaining a high school diploma or GED during the term of service. Members must agree to obtain either a diploma or GED before using an education award.
- 18 years old or older, no upper age limit
- Hold one of the following citizenship statuses: US citizen, US National, Lawful Permanent Resident
- Pass a National Service Criminal History Check
- Experience (or high interest) in education, youth programs, or STEAM skills
- Ability to relate well to and communicate well with people of various ages and from diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds
- Able to work accurately under pressure both independently and in a team-based environment
- Experience using Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Power Point and Publisher)
- Valid Wisconsin driver’s license, use of an automobile, and current auto insurance
- MPL AmeriCorps members will get a living stipend of $16,860 for the term of service, paid biweekly. In addition to receiving your AmeriCorps living stipend, members have access to many benefits while completing their year of service.
- After successful completion of your term of service, AmeriCorps Members are awarded the Segal Education Award, which can be used to pay off qualifying student loans, or be put towards continuing your education. The amount of the award may change annually, but for the 2022/2023 service year, it is $4,826.50
- We offer health insurance benefits through The Corps Network.
- Members qualify for childcare cost payment through AmeriCorps.
- AmeriCorps members can apply to local foodshare programs, and for student loan deferment.
- MPL AmeriCorps members will get mileage reimbursement for on-the-job travel, and will get assistance for their phone bill.
- Members will attend weekly training sessions on a variety of different topics, including: career exploration and planning; networking; technical and soft skill development; community engagement; trauma-informed education practices, and much more. Though there are many trainings that are standard for all members, the interests of our members will drive some of our training selections each year.
- AmeriCorps members get the unique opportunity to serve their community. As a volunteer committing to a year of service, you get to have a true impact in Milwaukee.
Visit our website to learn more and apply: mpl.org/americorps