Data – Report Card Intern
Milwaukee Riverkeeper is a non-profit organization whose mission is to protect water quality and wildlife habitat and to advocate sound land use in the Milwaukee, Menomonee, and Kinnickinnic River Watersheds. Milwaukee Riverkeeper is a licensed member of the Waterkeeper Alliance, an international coalition dedicated to clean water and healthy communities. For more information, visit our website: www.milwaukeeriverkeeper.org
As the Data – Report Card Intern, you’ll be assisting our Report Card Development Team in the analysis, visualization, and preparation of the Annual Milwaukee River Basin Report Card. The annual report highlights water quality data collected by volunteers and partners, and assigns an overall grade to river health. You’ll get hands-on experience in data analysis, visualization, and interpretation, helping to support a swimmable, drinkable fishable future for the Milwaukee River Basin.
Your work is an important piece of our organization and is actually a part of something much bigger. By distilling information about the health of our waterways, you’re helping to provide transparency to the public about local water resources.
- The Data Report Card Intern will work collaboratively with the Design Report Card Intern to:
- Analyze and visualize 2023 water quality data using MS Excel, ArcGIS, as well as other data visualization programs as necessary
- Draft outlines and content based on the results of the 2023 water quality analysis
- Participate in water quality fieldwork as needed
- Help with Milwaukee Riverkeeper’s 2024 Spring River Cleanup Event
- Assist with volunteer training and tabling at public events, as needed
- Strong attention to detail and interpersonal skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel and Word, ArcGIS skills are a plus
- Data analysis and visualization skills
- Knowledge of water quality issues
- Willingness to work in the field in a variety of weather conditions
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Our rivers flow through, and unite, a diverse myriad of communities. Milwaukee Riverkeeper is committed to working towards equity and inclusion in all we do to protect, restore, connect with, and advocate for our waterways. Diversity, equity, and inclusion strengthen our organization’s ability to advance environmental justice and we believe that all people should see themselves reflected in our work. Milwaukee Riverkeeper is an Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, marital status, age or veteran status and hires in accordance with state and federal law.
The position will begin in early 2024 and will finish once the project is completed. We anticipate the project will take approximately 6-7 months, we aim to publish in early fall. Hours and days are flexible depending on availability, though we expect 10-15 hours per week.
A stipend of $2,500 will be provided for this position.
Posted: February 6, 2024
Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis. Submit your resume, and a cover letter, including a short description of why you are interested in this position and why you think you’d be a great fit for Milwaukee Riverkeeper to firstname.lastname@example.org.