Working for Milwaukee Riverkeeper…
At Milwaukee Riverkeeper® we’re looking for more than just a person to fill a desk. We’re seeking team members that share our passion for healthy rivers and strong communities. If you want to become a part of our team, you will be empowered to work the way you work best. Your voice is important, you’ll help shape the role you’re in and the future of our organization. From the top down and the bottom up, we’re more than just a workplace, we work together, and play to win!
As the part-time Office Manager you’ll assist the Executive Director in coordinating and overseeing day-to-day Office. You’re part of the engine that keeps the organization running smoothly. You should be ready to provide support to team members and manage multiple projects at once. Project types include office administration, policy implementation, personnel orientation, non-profit financial management, IT support, database maintenance, and meeting coordination. Most projects will be administrative in nature with a focus on improvement of processes and best practices.
Your work is an important piece of our organization. Milwaukee Riverkeeper staff is collaborative and passionate about our mission. You’ll help maintain a positive culture that keeps morale and performance high. Ultimately, we’ll trust you to help us achieve our fundraising goals.
- Provide administrative support to the Executive Director, including managing day-to-day office, organizational calendar, employee and board meetings/events, financial tracking.
- Maintain office services by organizing office and procedures, controlling correspondence, designing filing systems, making supply requisitions, serving as liaison to building maintenance staff and managing equipment procurement.
- Management of all personnel and administrative systems
- Support implementation of office policies to build efficiencies and improve management systems.
- Assist in recruitment and orientation/training/onboarding of new team members.
- Provides historical reference by defining procedures for retention, protection, retrieval, transfer, and disposal of records.
- Ensure all legal and regulatory documents are filed and monitor compliance thereof to ensure organization remains legally compliant.
- IT support of computer hardware and software, as well as phone (cell and office).
- Serve as chief database administrator for donor and member information, including creation of mailing lists and input of donor information.
- Administration and general financial management and monitoring.
- Manage accounting: supervise bookkeeper; manage budgets and forecasts; direct proper booking of revenue and expenses.
- Ensure adherence to accounting policies and practices; and coordinate preparation of annual audit with the accountant.
- Supervise preparation of monthly financial reports and create additional reports as needed.
- Support annual budget and report preparation.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
This list of essential responsibilities and requirements is not intended to be exhaustive. Milwaukee Riverkeeper employees need to be flexible and may be asked to take on additional duties based on the organization’s needs and the staff member’s skills and abilities. Milwaukee Riverkeeper reserves the right to revise this job description, as needed.
The successful candidate for the position of Office Manager will have the following qualifications:
- Proven work experience as Office Manager or similar role, and/or a degree in Business, Office Management, or a related field.
- Experience budgeting and forecasting and familiarity with business and financial principles (non-profit financial experience, a plus).
- Demonstrated experience in organizational/resource development, personnel management, and financial/budget administration.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite; Salesforce/Watergrass; Quickbooks; data analysis and IT management, a plus.
- Highly organized with attention to detail; patience; professionalism; ability to work independently and coordinate multiple, diverse projects, set realistic deadlines, and manage a timeline.
- Demonstrates awareness of and respect for the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds, and orientations.
- Excellent written and verbal skills.
- Prioritization skills and ability to work according to the organization’s needs.
- Strong commitment to the environment and community.
This is a part-time position. Benefits include an attractive compensation package, including a base salary commensurate with experience (range is $40,000 to $50,000 FTE per year), as well as dental, vision, health benefits for full-time employees, employer-match retirement and vacation benefits; generous comp-time policy; “Ecobucks” reimbursement; relaxed dress code; a fun, friendly office atmosphere; professional development and leadership opportunities; and an outstanding opportunity for a highly motivated professional to assume a pivotal role in the growth and evolution of Milwaukee Riverkeeper.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Our rivers flow through, and unite, a diverse myriad of communities. Milwaukee Riverkeeper is committed to working towards equity and inclusion in all we do to protect, restore, connect with, and advocate for our waterways. Diversity, equity, and inclusion strengthen our organization’s ability to advance environmental justice and we believe that all people should see themselves reflected in our work. Milwaukee Riverkeeper is an Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, marital status, age or veteran status and hires in accordance with state and federal law.
Submit resume, (3) professional references, a short writing sample and a cover letter, including a short description of why you are interested in this position and why you think you’d be a great fit for Milwaukee Riverkeeper to email@example.com Attention: Hiring Committee.
We will begin reviewing applications starting in mid-May, and applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. For more information about Milwaukee Riverkeeper, visit www.milwaukeeriverkeeper.org.