Do you love working outdoors? Do you appreciate a job well done? Riveredge Nature Center is looking for motivated and hard-working individuals to help us care for the buildings and grounds of our 485-acre nature sanctuary and environmental education center.
Mission of Riveredge
The mission of Riveredge Nature Center is inspire, inform, and enable responsible environmental decision-making and sustainable practices by providing leadership in education, preserving and restoring Riveredge and other natural sanctuaries, and serving as a resource for scientific research.
Riveredge has a 55-year history as a leader in environmental education in the State of Wisconsin. The Center provides science-based, inquiry-oriented, outdoor experiences to learners of all ages.
The summer assistant will work with the Buildings and Grounds team to develop and maintain the facilities, grounds, farm, and trails of Riveredge Nature Center.
- Complete trail maintenance including vegetation pruning, mowing, trail building, boardwalk and bridge upkeep and repair
- Grounds maintenance including mowing, trimming, and weeding
- Assist in the planting, care, and harvesting of the children’s garden and the farm plantings
- Operate power equipment including but not limited to mowers, utility tractor, skid loader, 4WD utility carts, weed trimmers, battery-powered drill/driver and other power hand tools
- Assist with minor repairs, upkeep, painting, and cleaning of facilities
- Assist with the setup and clean-up of Riveredge special events and rental activities
- Preventative maintenance on buildings, tools, and equipment
- Other duties as assigned
In addition to the responsibilities, the Buildings and Grounds Summer Assistant is expected to meet the following expectations set forth to all staff members of Riveredge Nature Center:
- Meaningfully contribute to the Riveredge staff team. This includes helping with projects, programs, and events that may fall outside of the primary duties or departments of this position description.
- Foster an inclusive and supportive environment through personal actions such as supporting and helping other staff members and volunteers.
- Provide high quality customer service experiences to all guests and volunteers.
- Strive for excellence and innovation.
- Student with interest and experience in agriculture, natural resources, environmental science, facilities management or a related field; applicants with other majors or employment backgrounds are welcome to apply as well
- Self-starter and self-directed with a well-developed ability to work independently
- Attention to detail and safe operating procedures
- Experience with grounds maintenance, gardening, farming, painting, carpentry, or other outdoor work
- Able to work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions and traverse uneven terrain
- Able to perform lifting and bending associated with gardening and trail work
- Able to follow directions and complete tasks in an efficient manner
- Able to work as a member of a team by sharing decision making while personally assuming and also asking for responsibility and accountability
- Good communication skills
- Have a valid driver’s license
Compensation & Working Conditions
The Buildings and Grounds Summer Assistant is a seasonal position paying $11.00-13.00 per hour based on experience. Work hours are 20-40 hours per week starting in May lasting until no later than October. While most hours will take place Monday-Friday, some weekend and evening hours may be available. Most of the work will take place outdoors and will include physical activity and lifting. A nearby housing option may be available—please inquire if you are interested.
Email your cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references (in PDF or Word Format) to email@example.com no later than April 1, 2024 to the attention of Keith Hiestand, Buildings and Grounds Manager. Positions are open until filled; do not delay in sending in your applications materials. Thank you!