Under the direction of Safe & Sound’s Executive Director, the Director of Development & Partnerships will be responsible for overseeing and implementing all resource development functions for the organization. This senior leadership role will lead the strategy, planning, and execution of all philanthropic activities for Safe & Sound. This includes securing grants and support from local and national corporations and foundations, government entities, events, and through the stewarding of a broad base of individual donors. Additionally, the position ensures effective marketing, communication and advocacy strategies are in place for the organization.
The Director will lead a team of four development professionals that implement and assist with grant writing, event planning, donor solicitation, media relations, marketing, volunteer management, advocacy and technical assistance. This position will play a key role in representing the organization to the philanthropic community while ensuring the organization has the resources necessary to achieve its mission.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Report to the Executive Director, lead resource development operations, and strategy for a $2.2 million community organization with government, private foundation, corporation, and individual funding sources.
- Provide strategic fundraising direction and develop comprehensive annual plans, revenue goals, and tracking mechanisms; oversee the successful implementation of all initiatives.
- Manage a portfolio of government, corporate, foundation donors. Cultivate relationships, submit timely and accurate reports, and deliver customized stewardship for retention.
- Manage a portfolio of individual donors targeted for gifts of $1,000 plus, with a goal of increasing revenue from this group. Cultivate relationships, solicit gifts, and deliver customized stewardship for retention.
- Continuously seek new sources of funding from this sector. Support the Grant Writer with write grant proposals.
- Oversee strategy development and implementation of all external marketing, social media and communications functions for the organization.
- Oversee donor engagement events and communications, including the organization’s annual event.
- Support the Executive Director in building relationships with board members related to revenue and fundraising. Assists in the development and implementation of the strategic action plan.
- Work closely with the leadership team to support the Executive Director in shaping organizational goals.
- Oversee Safe & Sound’s Emerging Professionals group, a volunteer-led group of young professionals looking to positively impact their community by undertaking projects related to Safe & Sound’s work.
- Provide reports and guidance to the board of directors and lead work on the committee level.
- Support the organization’s priority areas of programmatic focus: prevention and collective impact.
- Supports the organization’s emerging advocacy work and initiatives. Serves as a member of the Advocacy Advisory Committee aiding in the strategic assessment of our advocacy work as it relates to the potential impact on board and funder relationships.
- Supports the development and promotion of our Technical Assistance fee-for-service model.
- Participate in the development and implementation of Safe & Sound’s annual budget.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The above is not an exhaustive statement of every duty and responsibility required. Other duties will be assigned.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree required or equivalent combination of education and experiences.
- 3-5 years professional experience in developing, implementing, and translating strategy around fund development.
- Experience in working with a diverse group of local stakeholders.
- Managerial experience a plus but not required.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES:
- Significant experience working with individual donors and deep knowledge of the individual donor stewardship process
- Experience working with a donor database (eTapestry or Raiser’s Edge experience a plus)
- Ability to successfully manage relationships with a wide range of stakeholders including corporate employees, philanthropists, community partners, board members, elected officials, and members of law enforcement
- A deep understanding of Milwaukee’s philanthropic landscape and the organizations and individuals who shape it recommended
- The ability to function strategically and with integrity in building relationships with funders and donors
- Experience developing and managing complex grant budgets
- Knowledge of the community and an understanding of the social issues affecting the work of Safe & Sound
Work will be performed in an office setting, in neighborhoods, at meetings, and required to work some evenings and weekends for meetings/events/projects as needed to carry out management responsibilities.
- Must have a valid driver’s license, a vehicle, and automobile insurance.
- Requires the County of Milwaukee residence at the time of hire
Salary: $70,000 annually plus benefits