SUMMER LAND STEWARD
One of the three pillars in our mission is to conserve our land’s diverse habitats, including prairies, wetlands, forests, and Lake Michigan shoreline. Schlitz Audubon is looking for a full-time LTE Summer Land Steward to take a role in conservation and land management activities. The primary purpose of the position is to restore and conserve the land using established best management practices. The Summer Land Steward will help train and supervise volunteers and interns in invasive species removal, restoration plantings, other essential land management projects. They will provide support to the Center’s Land Manager and Land Stewardship Coordinator and help implement Schlitz Audubon’s Conservation Plan, while gaining professional skills related to the management and restoration of the Center’s lands. This position reports to the Director of Conservation.
- Lead volunteers in managing the diverse natural systems on the property, to include: controlling invasive plant populations; monitoring wildlife populations; removing hazard trees; cultivating, planting, pruning, and watering of native species; applying herbicides and other stewardship duties as assigned.
- Maintain land management logs, equipment, and materials inventories.
- Research restoration methods and work with GIS and GPS to facilitate and track land management projects.
- Assist in the training and supervision of interns.
- Safely operate, maintain and repair hand tools, power tools and heavy equipment.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Undergraduate or associate’s degree in the Natural Sciences or related work experience.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills, as well as a desire to learn about land stewardship and restoration.
- Good mechanical ability.
- Basic knowledge of ecology and restoration principles.
- Familiarity with the native and invasive plants of the region.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND EQUIPMENT USE
- Ability to perform tasks requiring physical exertion, outdoors, in all weather conditions and on difficult terrain.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds and carry a 35-pound backpack for extended periods.
- Ability to stand, stoop, bend, and carry loads.
- Ability to travel and work at more than one site including the possession of a valid driver’s license.
- Must be able to work weekdays and Saturdays.
Seasonal, Non-exempt, full-time 40 hours per/week, 12 weeks @ $14/hr.
Send cover letter and resume to Drew Shuster at firstname.lastname@example.org with Summer Land Steward in the subject line.