*Salary is commensurate with experience*
Job Purpose: Community Organizers are neighborhood mobilizers who conduct outreach and organize residents year round, listening to, and addressing, the individual concerns of residents. Organizers develop neighborhood-based initiatives, enhancing safety and positively impacting the community and improving overall quality of life for residents. Organizers are tasks to engage year-round outreach activities in Milwaukee’s high-crime and impoverished neighborhoods. Community Organizer works in partnership with Community Prosecutors, MPD, and other community-based organizations to plan and coordinate community forums, youth events, food distribution, block watch meetings and other community collaborations which orient residents, families and businesses on resources and advocacy to encourage crime prevention, gang prevention and crime awareness; and to increase employment opportunities, literacy and healthy activities for youth and families.
- Responsible for the overall day-to-day community organizing, networking and resident mobilization within assigned neighborhood sectors.
- Work collaboratively with the law enforcement and other community resources to provide planning, problem solving and assessment services relating to crime, violence and drive prevention efforts at the neighborhood level.
- Build positive working relationships with the Commissioner serving in NSP18 area, CBOs, businesses, residents and SDC staff.
- Make presentations and represent SDC at relevant events, community forums, block watch meetings, media events and collaborative community-based projects. Work to ensure that the services SDC are known, understood and accessible to residents, businesses and community-based organizations.
- Assist in maintenance of anti-crime block watches. Initiate and respond to stakeholder phone calls and e-mails.
- Act as support person for residents to identify and document complaints of illegal activity, including drug, gang and gun activity to law enforcement.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting and data entry of all activities in CAP60 also reflected on required reports. Identifying progress toward meeting goals and objectives. Submit written and/or verbal data and narratives for weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual reports.
- Develop strategic neighborhood outreach plans and approaches; implement innovative ways to provide information and recruit residents for SDC programs & services, events, block watches and other initiatives.
- Develop partnerships with other community-based organizations to provide youth related activities and programming within the targeted community.
- Make contact with residents and disseminate program-related information by conducting outreach in the assigned neighborhoods on an ongoing basis.
- Work in a leadership capacity with other team members to implement special project grants and initiatives, as well as, track and report on project outcomes.
- Coordinate and engage in activities related to food distribution (SDC food pantry), outreach activities, clean-ups, and conducting flier drops.
- Expand engagement and outreach with the businesses through the Granville BID to build relationships that will eventually lead to internships, apprenticeships, and employment.
- Staff person will attend all mandatory CDBG meetings, Bid roundtable meetings, and other trainings as suggested by the manager.
- Attend SDC staff meetings and all other community related engagements.
- Perform all other duties assigned.
- Ability to work occasional evening and weekend hours
- Ability to relate well to people of various ages and from diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds
- Ability to build strong relationships
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail and organizational skills
- Experience in data entry using Excel or equivalent computer background
- Valid Wisconsin driver’s license with acceptable driving record, use of an automobile and current auto insurance.
- Associate Degree
- 3 – 4 years of experience in community outreach/organizing within community-based agency, community health organization or related field.
- OR any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The phrases “occasionally,” “regularly,” and “frequently” correspond to the following definitions: “Occasionally” means up to 1/3 of working time, “regularly” means between 1/3 and 2/3 of working time, and “frequently” means 2/3 and more working time.
- While performing the duties and responsibilities of this position, the employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The incumbent will regularly sit, and will frequently talk and listen and use hands to handle or touch. Specific vision requirements for this position include close vision and the ability to adjust focus. During the performance of his/her duties, the incumbent will regularly lift up to 10 pounds and occasionally up to 25 pounds.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Exposure to varying weather conditions while conducting outdoor activities.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by staff assigned to this position. They are not be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
For a complete list of our job opportunities, please visit our website @ cr-sdc.org, scroll to the bottom of the page, and click on the JOIN OUR TEAM link.